To apply for this course you may have an undergraduate degree in any subject.
You should have:
- a bachelor’s honours degree or international equivalent, typically a 2:1 or above or
- a degree that is not a 2:1 or above (or international equivalent) plus at least 2 years of relevant experience in a relevant field or sector, or
- a teaching qualification (gained after at least the equivalent of 2 satisfactory years of higher education) plus at least 2 years of relevant experience in a relevant field or sector
- successfully completed the 30 credit Postgraduate Certificate in International Education (PGCiE) at the University of Bath, enabling you to seek a direct transfer to the MA Education
Minimum non-graduate qualifications
- an advanced diploma in education and at least 2 years of relevant experience, or
- a teaching qualification (gained after at least the equivalent of 2 satisfactory years of higher education) and at least 2 years of relevant experience.
We may make an offer based on a lower grade if you can provide evidence of your suitability for the degree (for example, professional experience in education).
Months of entry
If you are looking to study education at master’s level, then this course enables you to learn in a way that fits with your own work priorities and commitments. You can choose from four study pathways to focus your learning where you want to develop.
Whether you are working as a teacher, lecturer, trainer, educational leader, manager or administrator – or aspiring to a career in education – this course will give you a significant insight into the latest trends and leading-edge research, and how those impact on policy and practice.
You will learn how to undertake and use educational research, and to reflect on your own practice, using your knowledge of the latest educational trends and developments, to inform and enhance the way you work.Gain key skills
You will leave this course with:
- knowledge of research-informed practice, trends and the latest developments in education
- a greater understanding of current educational issues to enhance your own professional practice
- improved research, analysis and critical thinking skills
- experience of undertaking a small-scale research project in your own professional context
- the skills and knowledge to able to make an enhanced contribution to policy and practice in education
The qualification you receive will help to enhance your career opportunities. The international education sector increasingly requires master’s level qualifications for promoted posts.
We also offer the option of studying towards the International Baccalaureate Educator Certificates as part of this course, which may increase your career options further.Flexible and collaborative learning
You can choose to study your chosen pathway in a variety of different ways.
All units are self-led and online, meaning you can complete this course entirely through distance learning. But you can combine this with short periods of face-to-face learning at our Summer School or one of our Study Centres that take place across the world.
However you choose to study your units, you will interact and collaborate with other students and tutors as you learn. You will receive online support for your coursework assignments and have access to a wealth of online resources via the University library.
Please note: Units studied during a Summer School or Study Centre will still require you to work through and complete the materials online. Summer Schools and Study Centres are designed to complement and enhance your self-led, distance learning.
You can choose one of the following study pathways as part of this course.
Allows you the greatest flexibility in choice of units and dissertation topic (with the exception of those opting to take the International Baccalaureate Educator Certificate, who are required to take specific units).
Designed for those who wish to develop knowledge and an understanding of issues relating to education beyond the national context. Depending on your interests, you can focus on issues relating to educational practices in different national systems, on international schools and/or on other issues cutting across national contexts. If you select the required units, this pathway allows you to complete the International Baccalaureate Educator Certificate.
If you wish to develop a deeper understanding of learning and teaching and enhance your professional practice then this pathway is for you. Core units explore learning theories and the role of new technologies.
Designed to meet the needs of professionals who wish to enhance their work as leaders and managers, or who aspire to a leadership role. You will gain an in-depth understanding of current educational management practice, theory, research and policy.
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time24-60 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
- Distance learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Taught Postgraduate Admissions
- +44 1225 38 5115