Applicants should have a good undergraduate degree at Honours level, or equivalent. This postgraduate course is open to individuals who have a first degree (or equivalent qualification or experience assessed by an interview) in dentistry, dental nursing and allied dental professions.
Months of entry
About the course
Providing unique opportunities to study dental care from ethical, legal and professional perspectives, this ground-breaking course has been designed for dentists, hygienists and other practicing dental professionals.
Designed to fit in with your current work schedule, it is a part-time course combining eight study days with online and self-directed learning.
You will be taught by a dedicated team of university and visiting staff who have wide-ranging legal and ethical expertise.
- Study the ethical challenges and dilemmas in dental practice, propose possible responses, and support these with well-argued rationales
- Explore tutor supported assessment tasks that are tailored in ways that allow you to deal with the real issues you encounter in your professional life
- Develop the ability to effectively appraise your own approach to practice, using independent or collaborative methods to identify and respond to your developmental needs
- Gain the capacity to independently and critically evaluate legal and ethical issues that are relevant to your own practice
- Benefit from a wide range of learning and teaching methods including small group workshops, micro teaching, action learning sets, cases studies, presentations, critical incident analysis, and individual and group work
Graduates apply their new knowledge into their own practice, adapting their staff training and introducing new ideas into their day to day patient management. Others may pursue more studies by taking a Postgraduate Diploma or MA in Dental Law and Ethics.
Some of our graduates already secured part-time positions as dental advisors with defence organisations.
The course enables you to adopt a critical stance to your own and others’ practice and to propose ways to enhance patient care through legal and ethical practice
Areas of study may include
Postgraduate Certificate in Dental Law and Ethics is obtained by completing two core units:
- Dental Law in Practice
- Ethical Dental Practice
Fees and funding
For details on the financial support on offer at the University of Bedfordshire please visit our website: www.beds.ac.uk/pgfunding.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- +44 (0) 1582 743500