Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
Applicants should have a good undergraduate degree at Honours level, or equivalent. Interview. Applicants will be expected to have a BSc/BA or equivalent in the area of arts, humanities or social science or relevant professional experience (for non-standard entry, which will be judged by the interview panel).
Months of entry
In today’s visual world it’s not just actors who need to perform professionally in front of the camera; many other professionals including journalists, politicians and business leaders are frequently called upon to present themselves and their ideas on camera.
This course is intended for individuals who want to perform, or present in a variety of situations, including fictional drama and factual programming and who might have some previous experience in acting, presenting and public speaking.
Through a mixture of work-based learning and theory, this course will help build your confidence, advance your communication and presentation or acting skills enabling you to perform at a professional standard before the camera.
- Develop your individual performance skills based on up-to-date practices and techniques of working before the camera.
- Gain the confidence to communicate your ideas with clarity and promote your screen performance skills within the media industry enabling you to stand out from the competition.
- Build professional contacts from participating in a range of different masterclasses run by experts working within the media industry making you well-placed to take up work placements or employment within established casting/production companies, or to audition for screen-based productions.
- Learn how to operate recording and editing facilities to support the final presentation of your showreel.
- Benefit from a course where you graduate with a showreel of a professional standard which showcases your skills and personal approach to screen performance and is tailored to cover a gap in the screen-based media market.
Areas of study
- Working before the Camera
- Practice-Based Research Methods for Performance to Camera
- Industry Approaches and Practice
- Professional Practices in the Workplace
- Screen Performance Final Project
In Working Before the Camera you will develop the necessary performance to camera skills and knowledge for your chosen profession and to extend your career path.
In Practice-based Research Methods for Performance to Camera you will conduct a practice-based inquiry pertinent to your performing practice. To this end you will utilize a range of methods to document and develop your findings through self-evaluation and critical thinking, following the model of action research and the strategies of the reflective practitioner applied to your own on screen performance.
In Industry Approaches and Practice you will acquire the knowledge and skills required to develop and display confidence to the highest professional standards and to stand out amongst competition.
In Professional Practices in the Workplace you will have opportunities for Media work placements, where you will be able to fully engage and to apply personal knowledge and skills in the Media workplace.
The course opens up may career opportunities for postgraduates pursuing a professional career in acting and presenting for television, or film, or the Internet. It would also benefit you if you wish to pursue a career in journalism, politics, and business, and in the course of your work are frequently called upon to appear and present themselves and their ideas before a camera.
The curriculum includes a range of different masterclasses from established practitioners working within the media industry and opportunities for work-based learning placements.
During these masterclasses you can advance your skills and network leading, in some instances, to employment, or additional work placements within established casting/production companies, or to auditions in order to cast screen-based productions.
Information for international students
See Fees and Funding for International Students for full information.
Fees and funding
See UK/EU Postgraduate students for full information on fees and funding.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- 0300 3300 073