Applicants should have a good undergraduate degree at Honours level, or equivalent.
Months of entry
For students who want to specialise in studio and entertainment television for mainstream channels and online - in this practical course they will create industry standard television productions and develop communication and collaborative skills helping them to become an effective and industry-ready television practitioner.
Through researching, writing and producing programmes students will develop their production and technical skills – both in the studio and on location – such as multi-camera live television studio production, location camerawork and sound recording.
Students will also learn about emerging technological opportunities in the field of TV production and get to grips with how the television industry works.
- Learn how to make a multi-camera TV programme in a studio, how to shoot on location, how to create, budget and market your TV ideas, how to produce programme proposals and how to pitch them to the industry.
- Study in our state-of-the-art HD TV studios and gain real production experience creating regular programmes for our in-house TV channel Beds TV.
- Develop your TV studio and location skills in pre-production, production and post-production in different TV genres that will prepare you for a range of careers in television.
- Explore the various aspects of TV production and learn how to integrate your practice and research to better understand how the television industry operates today.
- Learn from a team experienced in producing and directing big-budget productions and have links with other experts working in the industry who will run masterclasses and workshops.
- Collaborate with other students and on your own to solve production problems enabling you to become a confident, multi-skilled practitioner.
- Benefit from a course that prepares you for a variety of postgraduate careers in the television industry, including work in the fields of production management, producing, camera operation and video editing. It would also benefit those pursing careers in film, journalism and events, who, in the course of their work, are often required to use similar skills to those of a television worker such as writing, planning, scheduling, negotiating and management of logistics, locations and events.
- Challenge yourself with a final project which brings together the various skills developed during the course to create a piece of programming or research which will help underline your learning achievements and act as a bridge into the industry or further study.
Areas of study include:
- Practice-Based Research For Television Production
- Producing For Television
- Television Development
- Television Project
- Television Production Technologies
- Television Technical Skills
The MA Television course will equip students with a range of skills directly transferrable to the workplace. They will work in production teams in real production situations (e.g. working with real clients in MED BBB Producing for Television, or with real remits in MED AAA Television Development), which will develop team working, negotiation and communication skills. In many units the students will be working with industry standard software and hardware (for example in the units MED CCCa Television Technical Skills and MED CCCb Television Production Technologies, MED BBB Producing for Television and if they choose a practical project MED EEE Television Project). This immersion in television technologies will help students become multi-skilled television operatives, which is a key demand of the industry today.
Information for international students
To apply for a postgraduate degree (MA/MSc/MBA/LLM) at the University of Bedfordshire students should have a good honours degree (or equivalent qualification) in an appropriate subject from a recognised university or HE institution.
The University will also consider candidates with other relevant qualifications or appropriate work experience.
Students also need to have the required English language qualification
Contact your country’s International Admissions Team for more information.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details