Applicants should have a good undergraduate degree at Honours level, or equivalent.
Applicants with a recognised TEFL/TESOL certificate and/or relevant teaching experience will be considered.
Months of entry
The MA in Applied Linguistics offers an advanced level professional qualification for practising and aspiring teachers of English, but also for second language (L2) materials developers, assessment and examination/test paper writers and researchers in Applied Linguistics.
This course is designed for those who wish to start or further their career in Applied Linguistics and English Language Teaching, but do not wish to take observed and assessed teaching practice. It is also for non-native speakers of English whose language level is equivalent to IELTS 6.0 overall.
- Study areas such as the relationship between linguistics and second language learning, the methodology and techniques of language teaching and the appropriateness and development of materials for language teaching and learning purposes.
- Examine various current issues in English language Teaching (ELT) and carry out a major piece of individual research on a topic of your interest.
- Develop your understanding of the language systems of English: Phonology, Grammar, Lexis and Morphology.
- Gain relevant and practical classroom experience as well as professional practical experience with a work placement programme.
- Benefit from links with our prolific and highly successful Centre for Research in English Language Learning and Assessment (CRELLA), a world-leading research centre in language testing and programme evaluation.
Areas of study include:
- Assessment And Accreditation
- Dissertation In Applied Linguistics And Elt
- Exploring Research: Concepts And Methods
- Issues In Second Language Acquisitions
- Materials Development For Language Teaching And Learning
- Professional Practices
- The Language System And Language Teaching
- The Methodology Of Language Teaching
This MA in Applied Linguistics caters for those who are relatively new to English Language Teaching (ELT) or who want to develop their experience and research in a number of areas related to Applied Linguistics. It is specifically designed for those who are planning to become English Language teachers, those who wish to develop their knowledge and experience in Materials Development for language teaching and learning, and those who are looking to develop a critical insight into language assessment and testing.
This programme offers, therefore, distinct career advantages through professional career developments particularly emphasising its Continuing Professional Development (CPD), for example with the professional practice experience and with the development of materials made available as part of the Language Centre self-access resources and are piloted with students using such resources.
Information for international students
To apply for a postgraduate degree (MA/MSc/MBA/LLM) at the University of Bedfordshire applicants should have a good honours degree (or equivalent qualification) in an appropriate subject from a recognised university or HE institution.
We will also consider candidates with other relevant qualifications or appropriate work experience.
Applicants also need to have the required English language qualification
Contact your country’s International Admissions Team for more information.
A prompt payment discount is available if you pay the full fee before or at registration. There are also special scholarships available.
See Fees and Funding for International Students for full information.
Fees and funding
See UK/EU Postgraduate students for full information on fees and funding.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- 0300 3300 073