Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
A good Honours degree (2:1 or higher) or postgraduate diploma from a UK university or equivalent in a highly quantitative subject (such as Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Economics, Finance or Science).
You must have obtained good grades in mathematical, quantitative or statistics related modules at undergraduate level, or GCE A-Level grade A or overseas equivalent in Mathematics. Good programming skills, using languages such as C++, SQL, Java, R or Python, and/or two years relevant work experience in the field of science and technology, financial services or treasury management, are not strict requirements but will add weight to your application.
Places on this programme are limited, so you may be asked to attend an interview as part of a competitive application process.
Months of entry
Be part of the next generation of professionals in big data management, computer programming and key theories in finance with our cutting-edge Financial Technology MSc.
The Financial Technology (FinTech) sector has expanded rapidly in recent years and continues to disrupt established business models and processes. Firms across the world are looking for ways to adapt to these changes and make the most of opportunities and innovations in this area. Our MSc Financial Technology has been designed to help you future-proof your career and help you play a key role in the future of FinTech.Who is this course for
Our MSc in Financial Technology has been created for talented graduates and professionals with experience in financial services, treasury management, science and technology. The course will be especially relevant to:
- top-performing graduates in finance, economics, science and engineering
- those currently employed in finance and FinTech who wish to develop their expertise
- those with a related academic background who wish to develop their skills in this sector
- Birmingham is the second-largest city in the UK for finance companies. The Midlands has been identified as a major growth hub for FinTech and is already thriving, with over 100 firms currently operating in the sector. London, the global financial capital, is less than 2 hours away. Our strong relationships with key employers in the financial sector give you the chance to meet and network with leading global organisations. We are ranked number one for being targeted by the top UK employers (High Fliers Research 2021).
- You will be part of a small cohort on this competitive specialist programme, allowing you to develop a closer relationship with experts, staff and fellow students
- You can work on real time industry projects which combine theory with intensive practice and industrial engagement. Example projects include: setting up of crowd funding platforms, application of blockchain services in reducing currency frauds, developing algorithmic-trading applications and development of financial services applications
- Our Sustainable Finance and Innovation Centre provides opportunities for you to undertake client-based projects with firms, working with our research experts to gain hands-on experience with the latest financial tools and application-development softwares
- You have the opportunity to take part in the award-winning Future Leaders Certificate. You can work on an exciting virtual live project set by a multi-national company, giving you a clear understanding of the impact technology is having on the business world and the implications for your own career
- This course focuses on real-world investment challenges with emphasis on ethical and sustainable business practices. Find out how we are working for a responsible future at Birmingham
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Dr Anandadeep Mandal