In order to be considered, applicants will have or should be expecting to achieve an Honours degree (2:1 or higher) or postgraduate diploma from a UK university (or overseas equivalent) in a highly quantitative subject (such as Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Economics, Finance or Science).
Applicants must also have obtained GCE A-Level grade A (or overseas equivalent) in Mathematics, or be proficient in probability, calculus, algebra or real analysis at undergraduate level. If necessary we will assess the latter by looking at the academic transcript for performance in mathematical, quantitative and statistics related modules. Good programming skills and/or two years relevant work experience are not strict requirements but will add weight to an application.
Applicants who demonstrate being able to exceed the minimum entry requirements will be given preference.
Months of entry
Be part of the next generation of professionals in big data management, computer programming and key theories in finance with our cutting-edge Financial Technology MSc.
The Financial Technology (FinTech) sector has expanded rapidly in recent years and continues to disrupt established business models and processes. Firms across the world are looking for ways to adapt to these changes and make the most of opportunities and innovations in this area. Our MSc Financial Technology has been designed to help you future-proof your career and help you play a key role in the future of FinTech.
Who is this course for?
Our MSc in Financial Technology has been created for talented graduates and professionals with experience in financial services, treasury management, science and technology. The course will be especially relevant to:
- top-performing graduates in finance, economics, science and engineering
- those currently employed in finance and FinTech who wish to develop their expertise
- those with a related academic background who wish to develop their skills in this sector
Why study this course at Birmingham?
Birmingham is the second-largest city in the UK for finance companies. The Midlands has been identified as a major growth hub for FinTech and is already thriving, with new investments making the West Midlands the UK’s largest business hub outside London. Our strong relationships with key employers in the financial sector give you the chance to meet and network with leading global organisations. We are the 4th most targeted university of top UK employers (High Fliers Research 2022).
- You will be part of a small cohort on this competitive specialist programme, allowing you to develop a closer relationship with experts, staff and fellow students
- You can work on real time industry projects which combine theory with intensive practice and industrial engagement. Example projects include: setting up of crowd funding platforms, application of blockchain services in reducing currency frauds, developing algorithmic-trading applications and development of financial services applications
- Our Sustainable Finance and Innovation Centre provides opportunities for you to undertake client-based projects with firms, working with our research experts to gain hands-on experience with the latest financial tools and application-development softwares
- You have the opportunity to take part in the award-winning Future Leaders Certificate. You can work on an exciting virtual live project set by a multi-national company, giving you a clear understanding of the impact technology is having on the business world and the implications for your own career
- This course focuses on real-world investment challenges with emphasis on ethical and sustainable business practices. Find out how we are working for a responsible future at Birmingham.
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Dr Anandadeep Mandal