For entry onto the Assessment Only Route, you will be expected to have the following qualifications:
- A degree from a UK University or equivalent.
- GCSE in English, Maths and Science at grade C or above (or equivalent).
In addition you must:
- Have two years’ teaching experience in at least two schools, one of which may be your current school. (For candidates who have taught in only one school, a minimum three-week teaching placement in another school will be required prior to the start of the course. The University of Buckingham may be able to assist in organising a placement school.)
- Demonstrate that you meet all of the Teaching Standards across the age-range of assessment, as stipulated by the Department of Education.
- Pass the Professional Skills Test prior to the start of the course.
- Satisfy criteria based on suitability and aptitude for teaching.
Months of entry
January, September, April
Qualified Teacher Status is the United Kingdom’s professional accreditation for teaching.
The Assessment Only Route is a fast-track route (maximum 12 weeks) to gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) for teachers with two or more years’ teaching experience.
Applications are welcome from teachers, who do not hold Qualified Teacher Status, currently teaching in a school in the UK or abroad, providing they meet the necessary criteria. Schools may be state-maintained, independent or international in any country.
A preliminary assessment of your suitability for the Assessment Only Route takes place prior to the start date. A tutor from the University of Buckingham will undertake this assessment at your school, and a decision on your suitability will be made on the day. A second tutor visit will take place within 12 weeks of the course start date and will be a final assessment against the Teaching Standards.
Assessment Only Candidates may apply for a September, January or April start date.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Nikki Mugford
- +44 (0)1280 820219