Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
Applicants for this course should have achieved a UK First class Honours degree in chemical engineering (or a close equivalent, such as biochemical engineering or applied chemistry).
Months of entry
During the first two terms, students take a total of ten taught modules, the choice of which includes a combination of core chemical engineering modules and elective modules based on engineering and business/management-related subjects. During March to August, students undertake a full-time research project, the results of which are submitted as a dissertation.
The objectives of the programme are to:
- provide students with advanced technical skills in chemical engineering;
- enable students to solve problems within an engineering type of environment;
- provide students with business and management skills; and
- provide training in research.
Successful students should gain:
- advanced knowledge of fundamental areas of chemical engineering;
- an understanding of how discoveries and other ideas can be exploited effectively, including new company spin-outs, reorganisation of existing company structures, technology licensing, etc, by undertaking a series of business-based modules to include topics such as financing and marketing;
- the capacity to work individually and in a team, under time constraints, to produce workable solutions to engineering problems. Key skills learned will be time management, interaction with colleagues, obtaining technical and financial information, defining optimal outcomes, and presentation and communication of results; and
- the ability to define, organise and undertake a research project within a specified period of time and to report it in writing and by seminar in an acceptable manner. The project might involve business-related as well as chemical engineering research and may involve industrial collaboration. This will introduce the student to the practical problems of undertaking research.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time11 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Graduate Admissions
- +44 (0)1223 337733