Theoretical and Applied Linguistics by Advanced Study
Applicants for this course should have achieved a UK High 2:1 Honours Degree.
Months of entry
The MPhil by Advanced Study is offered by the Linguistics Section within the Faculty of Modern and Medieval Languages and Linguistics (MMLL) as a full-time period of study and research, and introduces students to research skills and specialist knowledge.
By the end of the programme students will have developed:
- a deeper knowledge and understanding of linguistic theories and problems addressed in cutting-edge research in theoretical and applied linguistics and related areas;
- the skill of critically assessing current research and methods in theoretical and applied linguistics and related areas;
- the methodological and other technical skills necessary for research in their chosen area;
- improved presentation skills through presenting their research in progress; and
- the skills and confidence to engage in scholarly debate.
These outcomes are achieved through participation in lectures, research seminars, individual supervisions, and additionally through subject reading groups, discussion groups and meetings of scholarly societies.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time9 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details