Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
Applicants for this course will normally have achieved a UK 2.1 honours degree or overseas equivalent.
There is provision to accept non-standard applicants who do not satisfy the standard academic criterion. Such applicants must produce evidence of relevant and equivalent experience and their suitability for the course.
Months of entry
When you embark on this innovative programme, you will choose an aspect of your subject which you would like to explore further or perhaps tackle for the first time. You will then study it both academically and pedagogically, so that your new knowledge and skills can be put to effective use in the classroom.
One of the aims of the programme is to focus on areas of the curriculum that are under-represented in schools, not least because teachers themselves may be less familiar with them. We hope that successful graduates of this MSt will go on to make major contributions to syllabus development not only in their schools, but also at national and international level.
The course has been designed to be accessible to teachers both in the UK and world-wide. Teaching and supervision is offered through a combination of residential teaching in Cambridge and online tuition.
Aims of the programme
- To provide professionally relevant teaching and learning informed by research.
- To extend and deepen students' subject knowledge and develop their understanding of specific ideas, pedagogical practices and learning theories.
- To encourage a commitment to intellectual challenge and evidence-based teaching informed by the latest conceptual and theoretical knowledge.
- To develop students' intellectual, practical and transferable skills related to subject specialist teaching.
- To help students to critique and evaluate current pedagogical practices in their subject area and to conduct systematic research relevant to their professional practice.
- To encourage critical thinking related to subject specialist knowledge, pedagogical practices and theories of learning.
- To encourage students to develop as reflective practitioners in terms of subject specialist knowledge, skills and pedagogical practices.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time24 months
- Distance learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Admissions Enquiries