Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
Applicants should normally have a relevant UK first or good upper second-class honours degree or overseas equivalent.
Months of entry
The Real Estate Master's Programme is a Master of Studies (MSt) course offered by the Department of Land Economy drawing on the multidisciplinary strength of the Department and the University. It is aimed at experienced professionals and those identified as future leaders in the real estate and associated industries and it combines academic rigour with significant industry input. The course aims to equip participants with a broad and deep knowledge of all aspects of the real estate industry, familiarise them with models and theories that help understanding of market behaviour, and develop insight into a range of long-term themes and strategic issues in the market while developing a range of research and other skills.
This is a two-year part-time master's course designed for those with several years of professional experience in real estate or associated business, who have attained a leadership role or are seeking to take up a leadership role. The format permits students to continue with their professional career whilst studying. The course will enhance students’ technical skills and develop a range of other skills to enable them to be agents of change in the real estate industry and beyond.
The aims of the course include:
- enabling students to build their knowledge across a range of disciplines around real estate including finance, investment, economics, environmental policy, planning and law;
- enabling students to build on previous study and work experience across real estate and related disciplines;
- equipping students to take leadership positions in the industry and develop their understanding of key skills in management, innovation, strategy, negotiation, partnering and risk management;
- providing opportunities to learn from colleagues from different cultures, work backgrounds and with experience from different countries with different social, economic and legal systems;
- providing students with the skills to manage information and resources effectively and to be able to manage their own research; and
- building a passion for research and strategic thinking.
The programme aims to ensure that students have a solid understanding of the end-to-end processes in real estate investment and finance while promoting innovation in real estate through highlighting some of the trends influencing the industry and the opportunities and risks that this will bring. The course breadth is reflected in the topics it addresses, from looking at the high-level drivers of capital flows in real estate and changes in the urban environment through to asset management of individual buildings and optimising their performance.
The course has a number of themes running through it that reflect some of the key trends shaping the industry:
- Interaction between the economy and real estate markets
- Globalisation and its influence on the market
- Risk management and mitigation
- The impact of technological change on real estate
- Sustainable buildings and cities
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Admissions Enquiries