Standard applicants for this course will normally have achieved a UK 2.1 honours degree or overseas equivalent.
There is provision to accept non-standard applicants who do not satisfy the standard academic criterion but such applicants must produce evidence of relevant and equivalent experience and their suitability for the course. Such non-standard applicants would normally be senior criminal justice professionals or senior personnel working with public sector organisations concerned with penology related operations.
Months of entry
The MSt in Applied Criminology, Penology and Management has traditionally been intended for prison and probation practitioners. In addition to such applicants, we now also welcome candidates working elsewhere in the Criminal Justice System, both in the UK and overseas. In recent years, in addition to large cohorts of staff from the prison and probation services, we have welcomed onto the course immigration officals, magistrates and lawyers.
The Master of Studies (MSt) in Applied Criminology, Penology and Management has the following aims:
- offer an up-to-date high-quality course which introduces senior persons working within the field of criminal justice as well as others with relevant experience and interests (eg senior personnel working with public sector organisations concerned with penology-related operations) to some of the most important theory and research in applied criminology, penology and management
- develop the skills necessary to locate, read, interpret and analyse relevant research and other source materials
- develop the conceptual understanding necessary to evaluate research methods and findings
- facilitate course members in communicating the results of their ideas, research and its conclusions in written form, as well as orally
- enhance the capacity of course members to apply up-to-date research in applied criminology, penology and management to aspects of their work.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Admissions Enquiries