Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
- Applicants must hold a relevant Dental degree such as Dental Hygiene or Dental Therapy or equivalent.
- Be actively engaged in dental practice.
- IELTS: 7.0 or equivalent in all components.
- All suitable applicants will be interviewed.
If you have already completed Facilitating Learning and or Mentoring in Dental Practice or equivalent please contact us to discuss entry onto the programme.
Months of entry
About the course
Are you a dental professional working in the NHS, HEI or private sector who is looking to develop as a dental educator and to support the development of your team? Our innovative learn-as-you-work MSc in Dental Education combines home study with on-campus learning to help you achieve both of those aims.
The course is designed to meet the needs of an inter-professional care team. Dentists and Dental Care Professionals and their extended team will all benefit from the support provided by the course team, gaining the knowledge and skills needed to become effective in developing others.
The environment in which training takes place becomes a learning community. This maximises the opportunity for learning for all. Where identified, development needs are considered and supported.
WHY STUDY WITH US
- Much of the course content is delivered via the University’s eLearn system, which means you can prepare work ahead of the on-campus study days and undertake additional work independently from home.
- You’ll develop critical knowledge and an evaluation of the theory, practice, context and associated research applied to Dental Education. You’ll also undertake an independent research study in the management of Dental Education based on your personal or professional interests.
- You’ll learn what’s needed to facilitate effective learning within and outside of the workplace. And you’ll be able to select and apply best practice principles to teaching, assessing, supporting learning and giving feedback to others.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- You’ll have multiple opportunities to learn educational practices from experts in their fields.
- On completion of the course, you’ll be well placed to influence the role and the research of dental education in patient care at local, regional and national levels.
- You will have the benefit of close support and supervision at all stages of the course. Emphasis is placed on small-group teaching allowing you maximum contact with your teachers.
LEARNING AND ASSESSMENT
A combination of formal input, supplementary reading, and interactive discussion plus the use of IT resources, seminars, group and practical work will help you to develop your understanding, critical analysis and ability to apply theory to practice.
The varied experience of the group will be used to share knowledge and ideas. Discussion of documentation relating to national and local policy and trends, including Standards for Dental Educators (COPDEND 2013), will encourage independent work and critical comment. Guided reading will also form part of your learning experience.
Assessment is via a range of strategies including portfolio, audit, educational resource, case-based report, case presentations, simulated role play evaluation paper, and critical review paper.
You will also complete a dissertation on a topic of importance and relevance to current educational practice.
On completion of the certificate level, you will be encouraged to apply for Membership of the Academy of Medical Educators (accreditation already gained).
The first module, Facilitating Learning in Healthcare Practice is accredited by the Academy of Medical Educators.
If you successfully complete the module and assessments you will be eligible to apply for full membership of the Academy without going through the individual assessment process.
This module is also mapped into COPDEND Standards for Dental Educators (2013).
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time36 months
- Distance learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- +44 (0)1772 892400