Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
- Applicants should have a 2:2 Honours Degree in related area such as biosciences.
- Applications from all candidates will be considered on their merits in the light of the nature and scope of the programme and if they have experience.
- A detailed admissions procedure will be forwarded on application.
- IELTS: Score of at least 6.5 or equivalent.
Months of entry
Course contentAbout the course
On our MRes Pharmaceutical Sciences course you’ll gain specialist theoretical and practical knowledge of drug development, with an emphasis on the procedure of drug discovery, from target identification through to product marketing.
You’ll be taught by researchers who have published extensively in the field of chemistry and pharmaceutics and have a wide variety of expertise in drug development, formulation and delivery.
We’ll give you the opportunity to select a supervisor and a research topic in the areas of biopharmaceutics, inhalation, pharmacokinetics, clinical pharmaceutics, 3D printing, herbal drug extraction, structure modifications, nanotechnology, topical and oral medications – the choice is yours.
There will be lots of opportunities to get hands-on experience of the pharmaceutical industry through work placements and day visits.
WHY STUDY WITH US
- We have close links with the pharmaceutical industry and you’ll get the chance to visit a number of organisations and undertake placements to gain valuable insights into how the industry operates.
- We invite industry experts and skilled researchers into the University to share their knowledge and expertise with you.
- You will have access to our state-of-the-art scientific laboratories to develop your practical skills.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- When you attend our regular postgraduate seminars you’ll have the chance to see talks from world-class researchers in a variety of relevant fields.
- We also encourage you to get involved in these events and practise your presentation skills in a relaxed and supportive atmosphere.
- At our postgraduate poster presentation sessions you’ll get to share your research and network with professionals and fellow research students.
LEARNING AND ASSESSMENT
During the first semester you’ll attend a series of taught lectures and participate in laboratory work. After this you will focus on completing a laboratory-based research project.
Assessments will include exams (based on a mix of short and long essay questions), case studies, presentations, academic reports, lab skills tests and oral viva.
We have close links with major organisations across the pharmaceutical industry, including Rosemont Pharmaceuticals, Wockhardt UK and GSK. You’ll be exposed to industrial settings through day visits, where you’ll get valuable insights into how raw materials are transformed into pharmaceutical products following rigorous quality control and quality assurance procedures throughout the manufacturing process. You’ll also get opportunities to discuss career paths in the industry.
This course will prepare you to study at PhD level or undertake jobs in the chemical and pharmaceutical industries in the UK and overseas.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- +44 (0)1772 892400