A 1st or 2:1 honours degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline from a recognised university in the UK or comparable university overseas; candidates may also have a Master degree.
APL will be considered for up to 40 credits with previous L7 in research methods (mean of 60% or above). These would be reviewed on a case by case basis by the Graduate School and programme leader, to ensure mapping of ILO is appropriate.
For international applicants who do not have a recent UK degree, a minimum IELTS score of 7.0 overall (with at least 6.5 in Reading, Writing, Speaking & Listening) or equivalent is required.
Months of entry
The MRes degree blends independent research with learning activities delivered by world-class researchers, while allowing students to shape their studies in part around their other priorities, making it an ideal qualification for early career academics and professionals alike.
The programme provides a firm foundation for developing personal and professional skills towards business, public service, third sector, research sector or doctoral study.
The University of Cumbria research master's programme aims to develop participants as researchers capable of designing, leading, and communicating research and development projects. Participants will contribute new knowledge, while also having an impact on practice within your subject area, professional field or workplace context.
You will be working with a core interdisciplinary programme team and drawing upon the established expertise of University of Cumbria's academics and researchers.
For students with further study ambitions, it is possible to gain accreditation from prior learning (APL) from the MRes degree into either a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) or a Doctor of Professional Practice (DProf). To progress from the master of research to the PhD or DProf, you will require 60% average overall, Merit or above, on successful completion of the MRes.
ON THIS COURSE YOU WILL
- Contribute new knowledge and understanding of key disciplinary and interdisciplinary theory, and research relevant to your professional field, workplace context and chosen focus.
- Advance your critical knowledge and understanding of research methodologies and skills enabling you to contribute to new knowledge through research.
- Influence research-informed change in practice within your professional field.
- Develop professional researcher attributes and skills in planning, critical and creative thinking, communication, and self-management of your continuing professional development.
- Exercise a high level of professional values and dispositions related to diversity, integrity, leadership and good practice.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
This MRes is a part-time degree that introduces research methods and provides a firm foundation for those who wish to develop their careers, enter the research sector, or pursue doctoral study. This course will equip you for a career as professional researcher in either academic or non-academic environments.
This is a Masters-level qualification involving taught elements, a research proposal and supervised independent research. You will undertake specified taught modules on a part time basis, normally completed within twenty-four months of first registration and this will lead to the award of MRes.
The first year of the MRes focuses on understanding the range of research methods and their applicability in your chosen field. This will include how to develop research projects, funding applications or doctoral proposals based on an evaluation of current knowledge.
- Research Methods for Professional Practice (40 credits)
- Project Design, Development and Planning (40 credits)
The second year is dedicated to supporting you in conducting an independent research project, alongside formative activities that encourage you to develop your research networks and communities, the impact of your work, and how it might develop further.
- Research Project (100 credits)
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time24 months
- Distance learningis available for this qualification
- Online learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiry Centre