Applicants should have: a good 4-year degree, equivalent to a UK honours degree, preferably at upper 2nd class level or above. Candidates holding the equivalent of a good 2nd class lower degree may also apply. Degree certificates and academic transcripts must be provided; preferred degree disciplines are Law, Economics, Geology, Petroleum or Mining Engineering, Finance. Work experience in the energy/natural resources industry is an advantage, though it is not a strict requirement for admission to the LLM.
Months of entry
During this course you will gain knowledge and understanding of:
- the main types of international (global and regional) and national regulatory frameworks and instruments between and within individual states, as well as between companies and governments, and contractual arrangements between companies in the international energy and natural resources sectors;
- the key policy issues relating to law, regulation and contracts in the international energy and natural resources sectors;
- the jurisprudence of courts, and operation of tribunals and other dispute settlement mechanisms.
- Undertake an evaluation of legal (or fiscal) regimes for the international energy and natural resources sectors;
- participate in the drafting of international agreements and national regulations or in the negotiation of an agreement between government and company or between companies, in the international energy and natural resources sectors;
- critically review information and critically analyse issues relating to the international energy and natural resources sectors, informed by developments at the forefront of the subject.
Information for international students
University of Dundee alumni can be found in international and national oil companies, mining companies, financial organisations, government departments and agencies, non-governmental and international organisations, research and academic institutes, international law firms, consultancies with interest in the energy and natural resource sectors all over the world.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Dorothy Stewart
- +44 (0)1382 385453
- +44 (0)1382 385854