A good Honours degree, equivalent to UK standards, preferably at Upper Second Class or above. No preferred backgrounds, the programme offers progression for graduates from environmental backgrounds (geography, environmental science, planning etc.), but will also appeal to a spectrum of interests spanning science, engineering, social science and law. For full entry requirements, please see website.
MSc SustainabilityMSc Sustainability and Water SecurityMSc Sustainability and Climate ChangeMSc Sustainability and Low Carbon LivingMSc in Sustainability and the Green Economy
Months of entry
Sustainability has emerged as one of the defining issues of the 21st century as illustrated by the global challenges of water, energy, food and health security - all of which are set to intensify as a consequence of climate change. Reversing patterns of natural resource depletion to promote enduring and fairer societies requires viable economies, good governance and sound science.
The MSc Sustainability is a new and exciting interdisciplinary programme providing an overview of sustainability principles, developing skills in critical analysis and facilitating change and transformation for the low carbon future. Along with the flagship MSc in Sustainability, there are four specialised pathways:
- MSc Sustainability and Water Security;
- MSc Sustainability and Climate Change;
- MSc Sustainability and Low Carbon Living;
- MSc Sustainability and the Green Economy.
The programme will be taught by established academics from the School of Social Sciences collectively comprising energy specialists, lawyers, economists, planners, architects and geographers.
Aims of the Programme
The key aims of the programme are to:
- Exploit Dundee's strong traditions of inter-disciplinary research and teaching dealing with the society, economy and environment nexus.
- Provide a challenging and vibrant programme of study spanning theory and practice and equipping students for professional life.
- Develop practical skills for creating change and transformation to help individuals and society move towards more sustainable practice.
- Offer 'conversion' opportunities for those with alternative backgrounds wishing to change career.
- Equip sustainability graduates with technical and entrepreneurial skills to take up a range of careers in policy, practical management, training and research in the green economy.
The MSc Sustainability is being introduced in recognition of the grand challenges of water, energy, food and health security facing the planet. The portfolio of environmental disciplines is exceptionally strong in the University as are its traditions of cross-disciplinary collaboration and cooperation. This new MSc platform is directly aligned with the University's Transformation vision, with its core themes of 'promoting the sustainable use of global resources'; 'shaping the future through innovative design' and 'improving social, cultural and physical well-being'.
The environmental sector is one of the key growth areas in the global economy and in UK terms is comparable in size to the pharmaceutical and aerospace sectors combined. An MSc Sustainability is designed to equip our graduates to take up a wide range of careers in policy, practical management, training and research across a spectrum of organisations from local to international and within the public and private sectors.
Information for international students
The University of Dundee has a long and distinguished tradition in welcoming international students to undertake taught postgraduate degrees. In total we are now home to nearly 18,000 students, with approximately 15% coming from over 80 different countries.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Ioan Fazey
- +44 (0)1382 386651