Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
You must hold a teaching qualification or be a student on a programme of initial teacher education.
Months of entry
This programme is recognised by the Bishops of Scotland as a preliminary qualification in generalist Catholic religious education for those who wish to teach religious education in Catholic primary or secondary schools. It is an on-line distance learning programme and covers Aspects of theological education.
- The Certificate in Religious Education by Distance Learning (along with the necessary church approval) will allow you to teach in Catholic schools.
- It will provide you with the requisite understanding of the main tenets of Catholic Christian theology, the Catholic vision of education and the methodology appropriate to Catholic religious education.
- This programme is also recommended if you are a qualified teacher and want to re-visit your understanding of these issues as part of Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
- It can be completed concurrently with a BEd or PGDE programme and the MA Primary Education in Dumfries, (or subsequently on completion of any of these programmes).
- CREDL is the University of Glasgow route for qualified teachers or students studying an ITE programme at other universities.
Information for international students
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time12 months
- Distance learningis available for this qualification
Further details of qualification
This programme is recognised by the Bishops of Scotland as a preliminary qualification in generalist Catholic religious education for those who wish to teach religious education in Catholic primary or secondary schools.
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions