Normally a 2.1 Honours degree or equivalent (GPA 3.0 or above) in English, education or similar subject OR ordinary degree, teaching qualification, CELTA (or equivalent). Students are also required to have 2 years work experience on top of their qualifications. International students with academic qualifications below those required should contact our partner institution, Glasgow International College, who offer a range of foundation courses. Further information regarding academic entry requirements: email@example.com English language requirements For applicants whose first language is not English, the University sets a minimum English Language proficiency level. International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic module (not General Training): overall score 6.5 no sub-test less than 6.0 or equivalent scores in another recognised qualification (see below) Common equivalent English language qualifications: ibTOEFL: 92; no sub-test less than 20 CAE (Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English): B minimum CPE (Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English): C minimum PTE Academic (Person Test of English, Academic test): 60; no sub-test less than 59 Pre-sessional courses The University of Glasgow accepts evidence of the required language level from the Language Centre Pre-sessional courses. We also consider other BALEAP accredited pre-sessional courses: Language Centre, University of Glasgow BALEAP guide to accredited courses FAQs Visa requirements and proof of English language level It is a visa requirement to provide information on your level of English based on an internationally recognised and secure English language test. All test reports must be no more than 2 years old. A list of these can be found on the UK Border Agency website. If you have never taken one of these tests before, you can get an initial idea of your level by using the Common European Framework self-assessment grid which gives you a level for each skill (e.g. listening B1/writing B2 etc.) However, please note that this is not a secure English language test and it is not sufficient evidence of your level of English for visa requirements. If you require a Tier 4 student visa, your qualification must be one of the secure English language tests accepted by UK Border Agency: UK Border Agency Tier 4 English Language requirements UKBA list of approved English language tests [pdf] For further information about English language requirements, please contact the Recruitment and International Office: firstname.lastname@example.org
Months of entry
This programme is for the mid-career professional and covers contemporary issues in education. The programme's specific focus is on the teaching of English to speakers of other languages (TESOL) with a special emphasis on how theory relates to practice.
- This programme draws on the combined experience of the School of Education and the the University's long established English as a Foreign language Unit (EFL) to deliver a strong research practice based degree.
- You will be encouraged to take a broader view of the links between classroom activity and approaches to programme design, teacher training, management and policy decisions.
- If you are looking for the necessary training to begin your career teaching English to speakers of other languages, you will be interested in the MSc TESOL.
You will take three core and three optional courses. You will also have the opportunity to investigate and produce a dissertation on an issue relevant to your professional development and teaching context.
- Language learning and applications to the classroom
- Descriptions of language and applications to the classroom
- Introduction to educational and social research.
- Advanced educational research
- Course design and practice in English Language Teaching
- Developing literacy
- Educational management and leadership
- Highly able pupils
- Language proficiency assessment and feedback
- Modern educational thought
- Social, emotional and behavioural difficulties
- Teaching English for academic purposes
- Which English? Sociolinguistics and language teaching.
Information for international students
IELTS: overall score 6.5; no sub-test less than 6.5. ibTOEFL: 92; no sub-test less than 22 with Speaking no less than 23 CAE: 176 overall; no sub-test less than 176. CPE: 176 overall; no sub-test less than 176. PTE Academic: 64; minimum 62 in writing
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
|Assessment||What kind of work will I be doing? (proportionally)|
|Written coursework / continuous assessment||100|
Course contact details
- Julie McAdam