Normally a 2.1 Honours degree or equivalent (eg GPA of 3.0 or above) in English, education or similar subject. International students with academic qualifications below those required should contact our partner institution, Glasgow International College, who offer a range of pre-Masters courses. Further information regarding academic entry requirements: firstname.lastname@example.org
Months of entry
This programme is for those interested in entering the TESOL field to follow or develop a career as an English language teacher but who at present have limited or no teaching experience.
- You will be provided with ‘hands-on’ opportunities to deliver supported, mentored teaching practice.
- There’s a focus on collaborative learning, drawing on your own experiences and those of your academic colleagues.
- A guest lecture programme will allow you to hear from expert practitioners.
- If you are already a professional in this field and are looking to advance your qualifications, you should consider the MEd Teaching English to Speakers of other languages (TESOL).
Initially, you are introduced to the principles of teaching and learning. The emphasis is on relating theory to practical applications through lecture input, workshops and seminar discussions. As the programme progresses you also have the opportunity to specialise through your choice of two optional courses. With the support of your supervisors you will also explore a TESOL topic in depth and complete a dissertation.
- Classroom processes
- Descriptions of language
- Developing professional practice
- Introduction to social and educational research.
- Advanced educational research.
- Developing literacy
- Inclusive classrooms - inclusive pedagogy
- Language proficiency, assessment, & feedback
- Modern educational thought
- Social emotional & behavioural difficulties
- Teaching English for academic purposes
- The education of highly able pupils
- Which English? Sociolinguistics and language teaching.
Information for international students
IELTS: overall score 6.5; no sub-test less than 6.5. ibTOEFL: 92; no sub-test less than 22 with Speaking no less than 23 CAE: 176 overall; no sub-test less than 176. CPE: 176 overall; no sub-test less than 176. PTE Academic: 64; minimum 62 in writing
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Carole MacDiarmid