2.1 Honours degree or non-UK equivalent (e.g. a GPA of 3.0 or above) in English, education or similar subject.
International students with academic qualifications below those required should contact our partner institution, Glasgow International College, who offer a range of pre-Masters courses.
Months of entry
This programme is for those interested in entering the field of TESOL. It provides a special emphasis on how theory relates to practice.
- If you are new to the field of TESOL, this programme is for you. It will give you the opportunity to develop your professional understanding of English language teaching through investigation of the links between theory, practice and current research.
- You will have opportunities to develop your confidence in teaching through linking theory to practice by observing lessons, planning tasks and micro-teaching to peers.
- This interdisciplinary programme draws on the combined expertise of the School of Education and the long established English for Academic Study Unit (School of Modern Languages and Cultures). This enables us to embed our extensive professional and research experience in the areas of language teaching and research.
- If you are already a professional in this field and are looking to advance your qualifications, you should consider the MEd TESOL.
You will take four core and two optional courses and undertake a supervised research dissertation on an issue relevant to your area of interest.
- Classroom processes
- Descriptions of language
- Developing professional practice
- Introduction to social and educational research.
Optional courses may include
- Advanced educational research.
- Developing literacy
- Inclusive classrooms - inclusive pedagogy
- Language proficiency, assessment and feedback
- Modern educational thought
- Social emotional and behavioural difficulties
- Teaching English for academic purposes
- The education of highly able pupils
- Which English? Sociolinguistics and language teaching.
Career opportunities include positions as an English language teacher, course designer, test designer, course director and teacher educator.
Information for international students
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Further details of qualification
This Masters programme is for those interested in entering the TESOL field to follow or develop a career as an English language teacher but who at present have limited or no teaching experience.
Course contact details
- Carole MacDiarmid