A 2.1 equivalent degree (GPA 3.0) in any Engineering Discipline or Physical Sciences/Maths degree that contains the core modules: Materials, thermodynamics, dynamics and maths.
Applicants with a high 2.2 equivalent degree classification but 2:1 standard marks in core modules may be considered for entry.
Months of entry
The Masters in Mechanical Engineering & Management offers you the opportunity to develop the knowledge and skills needed for modern engineering or technology management. The programme content includes design engineering and other mechanical engineering disciplines.
- The University of Glasgow has been delivering world-class engineering education and research since 1840. Mechanical Engineering is a core engineering discipline that has a long history in the University dating back to the 1760s with academic contributors such as James Watt.
- You will be taught jointly by staff from the School of Engineering and the Adam Smith Business School. You will benefit from their combined resources and expertise and from an industry-focused curriculum.
- If you have a mechanical engineering background, but with little management experience and are wanting to develop your knowledge of management while also furthering your knowledge of mechanical engineering, this programme is designed for you.
- You will learn to understand management principles and practices in an engineering environment, evaluate engineering information and apply business and management tools. You will combine engineering and management knowledge and skills in projects and problem solving.
- The programme is split into two semesters and a summer session. One semester will be based in the Adam Smith Business School and is aimed at developing knowledge and skills of management principles and techniques. An applied approach is adopted, with an emphasis on an informed critical evaluation of information, and the subsequent application of concepts and tools to the core areas of business and management.
- During the other semester there will be a combination of compulsory and optional courses that will combine to provide the required credits in Mechanical Engineering.
- In the summer session, a project will be undertaken by MSc students. The topic of the project can be either in Management or Mechanical Engineering, in which case the topic will usually be closely allied with the research interests of the discipline.
- Mechanical Engineering at Glasgow is ranked in the top 15 in the UK (Complete University Guide 2023).
- The School of Engineering has an Athena Swan Silver Award, demonstrating the school’s commitment to supporting women in scientific studies and careers, and to improving the working environment for all.
- This programme has a September and January intake*.
*For suitably qualified candidates.
Information for international students
International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic module (not General Training)
- 6.5 with 3 subtests at 6.5 or 6.5 overall with no subtest below 6.0 and Writing at 6.5
- Tests must have been taken within 2 years 5 months of start date. Applicants must meet the overall and subtest requirements using a single test.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions