Normally an Honours degree in a relevant field such as civil engineering, earth or environmental science, geography, mathematics, physics, or planning, but others with some mathematical background will be considered. Those with a degree in geomatics or a closely related subject or who meet the age and experience criteria of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors can use the programme as a route to a professional qualification or preparation for a research degree and may, under special circumstances, be given exemption from some aspects of the programme.
Entry without standard academic qualifications, or with technical qualifications in geomatics for those with significant practical experience in related employment, will be considered on an individual basis.
International students with academic qualifications below those required should contact our partner institution, Glasgow International College, who offer a range of pre-Masters courses.
Months of entry
This Masters in Geospatial & Mapping Sciences focuses on understanding the theory and practice of geospatial data collection, land and hydrographic surveying, data and information quality, applications of survey information, and research and development in the field of geomatics. It is strongly endorsed by industry, accredited by the RICS and has an excellent employment record.
- This programme meets the academic requirements for membership of relevant professional bodies and is accredited by the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and the Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors.
- If you are seeking a career in geomatics: land and engineering surveying; hydrographic surveying; land registration/cadastre and LIS; photogrammetric and remote sensing engineering; management of geospatial information; this programme is for you.
- The School of Geographical and Earth Sciences is proud to announce that it is ranked 28th in the world (QS World Rankings 2016).
- The School is consistently ranked amongst the top 10 in the UK and top 5 in Scotland, recently achieving 2nd in Scotland and 9th in the UK (Guardian University Guide 2017).
- The MSc in Geospatial and Mapping Sciences is an industry-sponsored programme and has been developed in close collaboration with industry to meet global demand for professionals in this field.
- You will benefit from access to the latest surveying equipment and software, including RTK GPS and terrestrial laser scanners.
- Textbooks for semester 1 courses are included in fees; and you will attend a week long practical surveying course (included in fees).
Information for international students
Fees and funding
Please see the list of scholarship opportunities available.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Nicola Mills-Wierda