For the MSc, normally a 2nd Class Honours degree or equivalent qualification in an appropriate discipline, such as Geography Earth/Environmental Science, Mathematics, Engineering, etc.
Those with lower level qualifications, or those with experience in the surveying industry may be admitted to the Certificate or Diploma in the first instance and, subject to performance, can progress to the MSc.
All candidates must have basic proficiency in mathematics.
Months of entry
The Masters in Land & Hydrographic Surveying will introduce you to the surveying discipline and prepare you for employment in the industry. Developed with strong support from industry, it builds on our long experience of delivering programmes in Geomatics. The programme is ideal if you seek employment in the geospatial industry to support construction and mapping projects both onshore and offshore.
- Our School of Geographical and Earth Sciences is consistently ranked amongst the top 10 in the UK and top 5 in Scotland, recently achieving 1st in Scotland and 4th in the UK (Complete University Guide 2019).
- We have over 50 years of experience of delivering postgraduate programmes in Geomatics.
- This programme is one of the very few programmes in the UK focusing on surveying and mapping, and unique in Scotland.
- This MSc in Land and Hydrographic Surveying is accredited by the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). It is anticipated that, along with our other Geomatics programmes, it will be accredited by the Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors (CICES).
- Developed in close collaboration with industry, this programme meets employment requirements.
- We have a very strong employment record with many students progressing to senior positions across industry worldwide.
- Subject to certain conditions, we will accept candidates without the normal entry requirements for an MSc programme, especially those with industrial experience.
Information for international students
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions