Entry requirements for postgraduate taught programmes are a 2.1 Honours degree or equivalent qualification (for example, GPA 3.0 or above) in a relevant subject.
Months of entry
Recognising the challenge for politicians, policy makers and practitioners in the criminal justice, and criminal law fields, this programme addresses the complex problems that crime poses for contemporary societies.
- The programme provides you with the key attributes for professions related to criminal justice.
- You will be benefit from the combined strengths of staff from the Scottish Centre for Crime & Justice Research who are based at the University.
- You will develop analytic and research skills, an interdisciplinary knowledge base, and a practical understanding of the settings in which crime and justice policies are devised and implemented.
- There will be a number of guest lectures, presentations and seminars throughout, with high-calibre speakers from the UK and abroad.
- You will have the opportunity to link up with a criminal justice organisation for your dissertation work.
- This degree is taught alongside the MSc in Transnational Crime, Justice & Security, which provides more focus on the international aspects of crime. An MRes in Criminology is also available, combining a study of the subject with greater focus on research methods training.
You will take core courses in criminological theory; criminal justice systems and processes; and research design and methodology. You also have the opportunity to take optional courses from a range of subject areas. In addition, the MSc programme requires you to produce a dissertation on a subject of your choice.
- Understanding and explaining crime
- Research and enquiry in crime and criminal justice.
Optional courses include
- Punishment and penology
- Crime, media and popular culture
- Rehabilitation and desistance from crime
- The global criminal economy
- Managing and controlling crime
- Women and girls in crime and justice
- International trafficking in cultural objects.
Information for international students
IELTS 6.5 (with no subtest less than 6.5): ; MML: IELTS 7.5 (with no subtest less than 7.0) iBT TOEFL 92 (with no subtest lower than 23) Cambridge ESOL Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) - B minimum
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Clair Clarke