Applicants should have: An honours degree in a relevant subject at 2.2 or above PLUS GCSE English language and mathematics at grade C or above, or equivalent. • Candidates must attend an interview • Candidates will need to pass the professional skills tests prior to starting the programme. For more information see: www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching • It is recommended that applicants spend some time observing in a secondary school before interview • Some applicants may need to work on the development of their subject knowledge. We offer a twelve week Subject Knowledge Enhancement Course to develop your mathematics knowledge at higher GCSE and AS level.
Months of entry
This programme is aimed at students with an interest and strong background in mathematics. Applicants should have sound mathematical skills and a desire/passion to communicate their subject and stimulate pupils from diverse backgrounds into studying mathematics. This programme prepares student teachers to become professional, creative, competent and reflective secondary school teachers of mathematics.
Students following this programme will have the opportunity to gain 60 Master's-level credits as part of their PGCE. The programme contains university-based workshops, two school placements and online materials to develop subject knowledge and pedagogy.
The aims of the programme are:
- To become a confident, competent and effective teacher of mathematics in secondary schools
- To develop practical knowledge and theoretical understanding to successfully work with secondary school children
- To widen individual skills, expertise and background knowledge across the field of mathematics education.
- Subject Knowledge and Pedagogy 1 and 2 (60 credits)
- Professional Studies and School-based Research (45 credits)
- School Experience (30 credits)
- Professional E-Portfolio (30 credits)
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- 020 8331 9000