Research course

Drama, Dance and Performance (MA by Research)

University of Huddersfield · Music, Humanities and Media - General
MA by research

Entry requirements

The normal entry requirements for enrolment on a MA by Research is an Honours degree (2:1 or above) or equivalent, in a discipline appropriate to the proposed programme to be followed.

If your first language is not English, you will need to meet the minimum requirements of an English Language qualification. The minimum for IELTS is 6.0 overall with no element lower than 6.0, or equivalent.

Months of entry

January, October

Course content

Our broadening of expertise and reputation was reflected by the QS World University Subject Ratings 2020, where the University of Huddersfield received a 5-star rating for Performing Arts.

A Master's by Research (MA) allows you to undertake a one-year (full-time) research degree. It contains little or no formal taught component. This type of study gives you the chance to explore a clearly defined research topic over a shorter time than a more in-depth doctoral programme.

Research Master's students choose a specific project to work on and have a greater degree of independence in their work than is the case with a taught Master’s course.

You’ll be expected to work according to an approved programme, which you will develop in conjunction with your supervisor during the first few months of starting your studies. While undertaking this research project you will also have the opportunity to develop your research skills by taking part in training courses, events, and seminars. Your research supervisor will advise and support you across all phases of the programme, from start to finish.

At the end of the course you will write up your findings in the form of an MA thesis. This is standardly up to 25,000 words but may be closer to 12,500 words where live performance and/or its documentation (often in the form of video) make up a significant part of the thesis.

Your final thesis will be examined by an appointed panel of experts in the field. On successful completion, you will be awarded your degree. Having a Master’s degree can be useful in many different professional and artistic situations. You may also then decide to undertake a doctoral degree (PhD).

Information for international students

If you are an international student coming to study at the University of Huddersfield, please visit the International Fees and Finance pages for full details of tuition fees and support available.

Fees and funding

UK students
International students

UK fees:

International fees:

Qualification, course duration and attendance options

  • MA by research
    full time
    12 months
    • Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
    part time
    24 months
    • Campus-based learningis available for this qualification

Course contact details

Course Enquiries
+44 (0)1484 472281