Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
Entry requirements for this course are normally:
- An Honours degree (2:2 or above) in a relevant subject or an equivalent professional qualification.
- Alternative qualifications and/or significant experience may be accepted, subject to approval.
- International students with qualifications in 'creative' or 'practice' subjects should submit a digital portfolio (pdf) of work with their application.
- All suitably qualified applicants are normally invited in for an informal chat with a portfolio or considered for admittance under alternative arrangements, such as a skype chat.
If your first language is not English, you will need to meet the minimum requirements of an English Language qualification. The minimum for IELTS is 6.0 overall with no element lower than 5.5, or equivalent will be considered acceptable. Read more about the University’s entry requirements for students outside of the UK on our Where are you from information pages.
Months of entry
Photography opens up a transformative space. As a subject it is at the forefront of the global design world – creating brand imagery, fashion styles, art direction and product representation for a global audience. It also documents issues and presents trends, creating new visual languages to mediate on prevailing global contexts. The Masters course provides an opportunity for you to challenge and hone your professional approaches to the discipline for a range of creative platforms and contexts.
Our course aims to enable you to:
- Critically appraise the importance of social, ethical, technological and cultural dimensions of photography as applied to your personal practice and that of others.
- Evidence advanced knowledge and understanding of photography and its current and emerging global applications such as, but not limited to, advertising, architectural commercial, editorial, fine art, fashion and photojournalism.
- Systematically plan, negotiate and implement topical research to substantiate a coherent body of advanced photographic practice.
- Contribute to the principles and processes of photography in supporting innovation within commercial or creative industries.
- Evidence awareness and relevance of your work in relation to professional standards in photographic practice through high-quality post-production skills, sector awareness and self-promotion through marketing, social media and portfolio development.
Our course aims to encourage you to push the boundaries of your practice with the development of innovative and imaginative concepts and ideas relevant to a range of situations. We will introduce you to a variety of platforms and contexts within which photographic practices sit, enabling you to experiment, expand, progress and communicate your ideas through different forms and processes.
Fees and funding
Please check our website for fee information
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- +44 (0)1484 471382