Entry requirements for this course are normally:
- An Honours degree (2:2 or above) in a relevant subject or an equivalent professional qualification.
- Alternative qualifications and/or significant experience may be accepted, subject to approval.
- International students with qualifications in 'creative' or 'practice' subjects should submit a digital portfolio (pdf) of work with their application.
- All suitably qualified applicants are normally invited in for an informal chat with a portfolio or considered for admittance under alternative arrangements, such as a skype chat.
If your first language is not English, you will need to meet the minimum requirements of an English Language qualification. The minimum for IELTS is 6.0 overall with no element lower than 5.5, or equivalent. Read more about the University’s entry requirements for students outside of the UK on our Where are you from information pages.
Months of entry
The Animation Production MA is part of the School of Art and Humanities MA Art & Design Suite, an innovative approach to postgraduate taught education that brings together disciplines from across art and design to produce a collaborative programme of courses that foreground the shared practices, processes and values of art and design in the 21st century.
Animation Production is at the forefront of storytelling, creating a deep emotional connection to a global audience.
Animation is made up of many different creative processes and inhabits a multitude of contexts. The Masters course provides an opportunity for you to hone your professional approaches to the discipline. In the creation of animation for different commercial and artistic platforms, the world of the animator occupies both physical and digital arenas and is increasingly seen as an innovative and dynamic communication tool of the future. Our course offers continuing students or graduates from creative art and design subjects with an opportunity to enhance their knowledge, creative skills and employment prospects.
Our course aims to enable you to:
- Critically appraise the importance of social, ethical, technological and cultural dimensions of animation production as applied to your personal practice and that of others.
- Evidence advanced knowledge and understanding of animation production and its current and emerging global applications such as, but not limited to, 2D and 3D analogue, digital and computer animation, motion graphics, game art and design.
- Systematically plan, negotiate and implement topical research to substantiate a coherent body of practice in advanced animation production.
- Contribute to the principles and processes of animation production in supporting innovation within commercial or creative industries.
- Evidence awareness and relevance of your practice and skills in relation to professional standards in animation production, such as through appropriately developed animation pipeline processes
Our course aims to encourage you to push the boundaries of animation practice with the development of innovative and imaginative concepts and ideas relevant to the design of animated products and artefacts. We will introduce you to a variety of platforms and a range of situations and contexts within which animation sits, enabling you to experiment, expand, progress and communicate your ideas through different forms and processes, both digital and analogue.
Fees and funding
Please check our website for fee information
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- +44 (0)1484 257054