About School of Education and Professional Development
Making a difference to the future prospects of others and ensuring their personal development is both rewarding and worthwhile.
Study with us
The School of Education and Professional Development at the University of Huddersfield offers a range of teacher training and taught postgraduate courses. Plus, we supervise research degrees across a whole host of related subject areas to ensure this ever-evolving sector is continuously developed by a professional workforce.
We’ve been developing great teachers since 1947. Today we train over 1,500 teachers every year within the School together with our local and national partners.
You’ll be taught and supported by an outstanding team. In fact, we’ve been ranked in the top ten in the Guardian Guide for Education 2017 for the seventh year running. All our courses are developed with the involvement of professional partners from the field. These partners continue to be actively involved in course development through supporting student placements, participating in guest lectures and committees.
Our staff also bring a wealth of experience and knowledge. Many are prominent researchers and are actively involved in looking at new policies and development projects.
Our professional network includes links with schools, colleges, early years settings, local authorities, youth services, youth offending teams and careers service organisations. These links not only offer you real-life experience whilst you’re studying, but play a major role in developing course content through collaboration and guest lectures.
Many of our courses are also professionally recognised and endorsed by bodies including the National Youth Agency (NYA) and the Career Development Institute (CDI).
We’ve a reputation for delivering consistently outstanding educational research. In fact, in the latest Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014, an impressive 94% of our research was deemed to be world class or of international significance. Research is integral to our reputation for developing the best and brightest professionals whilst also addressing the needs of employers and the community.
All our research is fed directly back into course content and shared across our academic community.
Outstanding teaching, access to our wide ranging professional networks plus the latest research findings all help ensure our students are able to equip themselves with the most relevant knowledge and skills needed within the workplace.
Many of our courses are offered on a flexible full- or part-time basis to ensure you’re able to work toward your qualification around your existing commitments
By choosing to study with the University of Huddersfield you’ll join an inspiring, passionate and committed community focused on making your studies as enjoyable, rewarding and successful as possible.
Education Studies and Continuing Professional Development
Pursue a career working within the education and training sectors or aspiring to develop your practice, explore new ideas and bring about change.
- Action research for education MA part-time
- Early childhood studies MA full-time | part-time
- Education MA full-time | part-time
- Education and professional enquiry MA full-time | part-time
- Education and youth work studies MA full-time | part-time
- Higher education MA part-time
- International education MA full-time
- Leadership in education and public services MA full-time | part-time
- Learning and development management MA full-time | part-time
- Teaching in lifelong learning MA (top-up) part-time
- Technology enhanced learning and innovation MA full-time | part-time
- Youth, community and guidance
Pursue or advance your career working alongside young people, adults and their communities and gain a professionally endorsed qualification alongside your University of Huddersfield award, which could give you the edge when applying for jobs.
- Guidance (professional studies) MA/PgDip full-time | part-time
- Youth and community work (professional studies) MA/PgDip full-time | part-time
We offer an exciting range of postgraduate courses that will help you to develop the skills and understanding needed to become an outstanding teacher.
So whether you’re interested in teaching early years and primary children, want to inspire secondary school students or share your professional skills with learners in the lifelong learning (post-16) sectors, then we’ve got the professional training course to help you on your way. We also work with a range of local School Direct partners for those interested in training to become primary and secondary school teachers via this route.
To help you put theory into practice we use our close links with schools, colleges, early years settings and local authorities. And when you’re not out on placement you’ll be studying in one of our well-equipped teaching rooms containing the latest audio-visual kit and whiteboards, and open access computing suites. We also offer a range of specialist facilities, including mock primary and early years classrooms, a science lab and music room.
- Early Years Initial Teacher Training (EYTS) graduate entry mainstream
- Early Years Initial Teacher Training (EYTS) graduate employment route
- Secondary Business Education PGCE with QTS
- Secondary Computer Science PGCE with QTS
- Secondary English PGCE with QTS
- Secondary Mathematics PGCE with QTS
- Secondary Music PGCE with QTS
- Secondary Science with Biology PGCE with QTS
- Secondary Science with Chemistry PGCE with QTS
- Secondary with Physics with QTS
Lifelong Learning (Post-16)
- +44 (0)1484 478249