A medical degree or bachelor degree with a 2:1 (hons) in a health-related discipline or equivalent qualification. In exceptional cases, we may accept extensive work experience in public health instead. All applicants must have at least two years’ international public health professional experience.
Months of entry
This well-established, sought-after programme provides public health professionals with an understanding of the health needs of whole populations and how to effectively intervene to improve health in an international context.
The international emphasis of this programme attracts students with a variety of professional backgrounds and experience from around the world.
On completion, you will have gained:
• the ability to analyse issues in health policy and an understanding of how to improve quality, accessibility and acceptability of health services using epidemiology, statistics and evidence-based public health interventions
• the essential skills to improve existing (and build new) health services programmes and management systems in order to improve public health
• the ability to evaluate different strategies for disease control in order to select the most effective and feasible action plans and programmes
• an appreciation of health and health systems in an international policy context
• an understanding of the conceptual framework around public health policy and management
• the ability to discuss ethical issues, and adopt and justify an appropriate ethical stance.
You will have the opportunity of attending an optional one-week study tour in Geneva exploring and networking with a range of international organisations.
Information for international students
For applicants whose first language is not English, an IELTS score of 6.5 with at least 6.0 in all components or equivalent is required.
Fees and funding
For information about subject specific funding opportunities for courses in the Nuffield Centre for International Health and Development please visit http://medhealth.leeds.ac.uk/info/692/study/1125/funders.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admissions Office
- +44 (0)113 343 0806