A bachelor degree with a 2:2 (hons) in engineering, a physical science or mathematics discipline.
Applicants must have strong marks across a breadth of relevant modules, including mathematics and physical sciences.
Relevant professional qualifications and experience may also be considered.
Months of entry
Materials science is at the forefront of providing innovative solutions for many global challenges — from creating new materials for energy generation to developing storage that helps reduce carbon emissions.
Our Materials Science and Engineering MSc has been designed to meet the present needs and future challenges of advanced materials and manufacturing. Whether you’ve got a background in science, mathematics, technology or other engineering disciplines, studying this course will give you the specialist skills and knowledge you’ll need to pursue a career in this growing and fast-moving field.
Taught by leading researchers in UK-leading facilities, you’ll study topics such as materials structures, processing-structure-property relationships, characterisation and failure analysis.
Why study at Leeds:
- This Masters degree is accredited by the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining.
- Our courses are shaped by our globally-renowned research. You’ll interact with academic staff who are members of the Sir Henry Royce Institute for Advanced Materials and the Bragg Centre for Materials Research, giving you the opportunity to develop professional relationships with researchers at the forefront of the industry.
- Tailor the course to specialise in your career interests through an extensive, individual research project in an area of your choice in which you’ll also build professional skills in project management, teamwork and decision making.
- Advance your knowledge surrounding the needs and challenges relevant to critical areas such as nanomaterials, bioengineering, energy, photonics, electronics and information technology, and sustainable development.
- Access UK-leading research equipment, specialist facilities for synthesising and characterising a wide range of materials and labs equipped with the latest technology.
- Use commercial and academic materials software together with access to high-performance computing facilities.
- Experience excellent practical and theoretical teaching delivered by a programme team with a wealth of expertise and experience across many relevant areas such as experimental materials science techniques.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Admissions Team
- +44 (0)113 343 2343