A bachelor degree with a 2:1 (hons) or above in geosciences (eg geology or geophysics) or a numerate discipline, such as physics or mathematics, although relevant and extensive industry experience can also be taken into account. Applicants should have mathematics to a good A-level grade (or equivalent) as a minimum. Mathematical competence will be assessed prior to joining and additional training may be required. The course is computer-intensive and basic computer literacy including Windows and MS Office are assumed. EDCL/ICDL qualifications are not formally required, but represent the level expected. Familiarity with Linux would also be advantageous as it forms the platform for much of the workstation based training.
Months of entry
Join us for our Master Open Day to find out more about our courses.
Geophysics is the remote study of the Earth's interior through physical techniques – principally analysing seismic data, but also applying gravity, magnetic, electrical and electromagnetic methods. It is a key element of oil, gas and mineral exploration, environmental and archaeological assessment, and engineering site investigation.
This course prepares you to embark on a career in resource exploration, environmental and engineering geophysics.
Running for over 50 years it is well-established and has strong links to industry. It provides you with a broad range of practical skills, underpinned by a theoretical understanding that equips you to become a professional in your chosen field. You will also undertake a four-month individual project, mostly in association with an external company or institute and often in their offices.
Demand for geophysicists continues to be high and this well-established course has an exceptionally good record of job placement for both UK/EU and overseas students.
- Network with energy, geophysical acquisition, processing and software companies, who visit regularly to engage and recruit our students.
- Complete a four-month individual project, mostly in association with an external company or institute and often in their offices.
- Access our state-of-the-art computer suite that runs a comprehensive range of industry-standard software on hi-spec twin-screen workstations.
- Develop your field skills with our sector-leading portfolio of field geophysical equipment.
- Apply for an industry scholarships - we have a large number of School and dedicated external (industry) scholarships for UK/EU applicants.
Information for international students
We accept a range of international equivalent qualifications. For information contact the School of Earth and Environment admissions team.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admissions Team
- +44 (0)113 343 8109