A bachelor degree or non-UK equivalent.
You will also need:
- Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) or Qualified Teacher Learning and Sskills (QTLS) (required for Teacher of the Deaf award)
- one year of teaching experience or experience of working with deaf children in educational settings
- contact with a school or service that will enable you to work with deaf children to meet the requirements of the Mandatory Qualification
- British (or local) Sign Language CACDP/ Signature/ iBSL Level 1 (required for Teacher of the Deaf award) or equivalent
Visit our website for full entry requirements, including the alternative qualifications we accept.
Months of entry
The MA Deaf Education is a two-year course leading to the Mandatory Qualification for Teacher of the Deaf (QToD).
This course is taught part time using blended learning, providing the opportunity to study both online and face to face. This flexibility allows you to balance your studies alongside your existing work and other commitments.
The dissertation provides an opportunity to extensively explore an aspect of deaf education that you are particularly interested in. You’ll apply the knowledge and skills you’ve developed during the course to address an issue or question you have about your own practice or experience.
We also offer a Postgraduate Diploma in this subject leading to the QToD, which does not require a dissertation. See PGDip Deaf Education (Teacher of the Deaf) for more information.
We welcome suitably qualified deaf and hearing applicants and provide appropriate access and support arrangements for all students. All University-based sessions are supported by BSL interpreters and notetakers. Assessed presentations may be delivered in British Sign Language (BSL).
A partial-fee scholarship is available to UK Deaf Education schools or services funding two or more students in a single year; see the course's Funding section for details.
Information for international students
Our English language requirements are IELTS 6.5 overall, with no less than 6.0 in any component. For other English qualifications, read English language equivalent qualifications.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time24 months
- Distance learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions Office