About Faculty of Biological Sciences
The Faculty of Biological Sciences is one of the leading life science faculties in the UK in terms of research power, subject diversity and interdisciplinarity. You’ll be taught by leading experts with their teaching content reflecting the latest developments in the field of biological sciences.
Top 20 in the UK for Biological Sciences
We are a member of the prestigious Russell Group of 24 research-intensive universities, and one of the top 100 universities in the world (QS World University Rankings 2021). Our research projects have the potential to make a major impact on global society.
Our position amongst the UK elite for biological sciences research was confirmed in the results of Research Excellence Framework (REF 2014), where we are ranked 6th in the UK for research impact. Over 80% of our research activity was rated as ‘world leading’ or internationally excellent’.
We are a truly international university and we have many years’ experience welcoming overseas students to the Faculty of Biological Sciences. Leeds has a long history of providing both an inspirational academic experience and excellent student support. As one of the most popular destinations in the UK for international students, we understand your needs and have dedicated support to help make student life in Leeds enjoyable and successful.
The University has been ranked in the top 35 most international universities in the world (Times Higher Education 2020).
Postgraduate subjects available
Our extensive research expertise means our courses are at the forefront of knowledge and reflect the latest developments in the field of biological sciences. Our postgraduate programmes prepare students for a wide range of careers, including academic and industry research, medical and health related jobs, as well as non-science related work. This research-led teaching, along with industry placement on selected courses is producing first-class graduates who are equipped with the confidence and skills to become the scientists of the future.
A diverse range of Masters Degrees are available:
- MSc Biodiversity and Conservation
- MSc Biodiversity and Conservation with African Field Course
- MRes Biodiversity and Conservation
- MRes Biodiversity and Conservation with African Field Course
- MSc Biopharmaceutical Development
- MSc Biopharmaceutical Development (Industrial Placement)
- MSc Bioscience
- MSc Infection, Immunity and Human Disease
- MRes Neuroscience
- MSc Plant Science and Biotechnology
- MSc Precision Medicine: Genomics & Analytics
- MSc Sport and Exercise Medicine
- MRes Sport, Exercise and Rehabilitation
- MSc Drug Discovery and Development
- MSc Global Conservation Science
- MSc Biotechnology with Business Enterprise
PhD possibilities are extensive and projects are often part of the wider, on-going research within the Faculty. Our research themes include:
Excellent career prospects
Leeds graduates have an excellent reputation amongst employers. The University of Leeds is top 5 most targeted university by top employers (The Graduate Market 2021, High Fliers Research).
Leeds: the best of both worlds
The Leeds campus offers students the best of both worlds: the convenience and community of a single site campus at the heart of an exciting cosmopolitan city.
Leeds has all you can expect from a major city and is surrounded by beautiful, accessible countryside. Our campus is located just a few minutes' walk from Leeds city centre, giving you all the benefits of studying at a campus University and living close to a lively city. Leeds is famous in the UK not only as a major shopping destination, but also for our proud sporting tradition and is home to teams such as Leeds United football club, Yorkshire cricket club, and the Leeds Rhinos rugby club.
The city also has a vibrant cultural life, including theatres, art galleries and museums and a new 13,500 seat Leeds Arena. Leeds is one of the greenest cities in Britain with more parkland than any other European city.
We usually offer opportunities throughout the year to visit the faculty. You will be able to find out more about study and research opportunities at Leeds, take a campus tour to view our outstanding facilities and receive advice on your application, fees, funding and much more.
If you can’t attend an open day but would like to visit the University, we offer organised campus tours throughout the academic year. Guided by one of the University’s current students, you’ll have the opportunity to ask questions about life at Leeds.
We have opportunities to discover Leeds from the comfort of your home. See details on our website about upcoming virtual events.
Scholarships, fees and funding
The cost of a postgraduate degree varies by course and by type. Check out our website for the most up-to-date information. Each year we have a range of scholarships that are available for both home and international students undertaking postgraduate study with the Faculty of Biological Sciences. Details can be found here.
Adapting to life in a new place can be both exciting and challenging. Finding somewhere to live where you feel comfortable will help you settle in quickly, and Leeds has plenty of accommodation options for you to choose from.
- Top 20 in the UK for Biological Sciences – Complete University Guide 2022
- Top 25 in the UK for Biomedical Sciences – Complete University Guide 2022
- Top 25 in the UK for Biological Sciences – The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021
- Top 15 in the UK for Sport Science – Complete University Guide 2022
- Top 15 in the UK for Sport Science – The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021
- Top 100 in the world for Sports-Related Subject – QS World University Rankings by Subject 2021
- Top 100 in the world for Life Sciences – Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2022
Find the right course for you at University of Leeds
- Social media accounts