Entry Requirements A second or first class honours level primary degree or equivalent professional qualification (Primary degree: Level 8 - National Qualifications Authority of Ireland). All candidates will also be required to attend an interview. Where candidates are overseas these may be conducted via telephone or Skype. Candidates who do not meet the above degree/qualification requirements may apply for admission to the degree course. The admission of such applicants would be exceptional and would be subject to the applicant's interview and the approval of the Course Director and course team. In such cases, equivalent prior professional experience will be considered.
Months of entry
This MA in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) has been designed specifically with the aim of providing initial teacher education for those wishing to become teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL; this takes in English as a Foreign Language, EFL, and English as a Second Language, ESL). The programme is designed to accommodate participants in search of an initial English language teaching qualification, as well as experienced English language teachers who wish to upskill and/or gain an MA level qualification.
The programme encourages participants to develop and reflect upon their understanding of the various theoretical and practical issues that impact upon the field of language teaching. It places particular emphasis on the notion of informed and critical teaching and the need for teachers to mediate between theory and practice in constructing pedagogies according to specific teaching and learning contexts. In line with the most recent approaches in the field, language technology and, particularly, corpus-based approaches to the study and description of language, feature strongly in our modules. A balance is maintained throughout the course between linguistic content, pedagogic content, and teaching-related research. Participants have the opportunity to complete one or two modules of teaching practice as part of the programme.
After completing the two taught semesters of the programme (60 credits), participants may opt to exit the programme at the end of Semester 2 with a Graduate Diploma in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages.
- To equip graduates with a professional qualification in the area of ESOL.
- To enable students to acquire the knowledge, range of capabilities, experiences and qualities that are required for the teaching profession.
- To develop students' understanding of the language-learning process and a critical awareness of associated pedagogies.
- To provide students with the necessary skills to carry out research in the area of ESOL.
- To afford the opportunity to develop skills in areas of pedagogic practice relevant in contemporary educational systems internationally, for example, new technologies and materials development.
Information for international students
Applicants whose first language is not English must provide evidence of either prior successful completion of a degree qualification taught through the medium of English or meet one of the criteria below (no longer than two years prior to application):
Acceptable English Language qualifications include the following:
- Matriculation examinations from European countries where English is presented as a subject and an acceptable level is achieved
- Irish Leaving Certificate English –Ordinary Level Grade D or above
- TOEFL – 580 (paper based) or 90 (internet based)
- IELTS – Minimum score of 6.5 with no less than 6 in any one component.
- English Test for English and Academic Purposes (ETAPP) – Grade C1
- GCE ‘O’ level English Language/GCSE English Language – Grade C or above
- University of Cambridge ESOL –Certificate of Proficiency in English - Grade C / Certificate in Advanced English Grade A
- GCE Examination Boards – Oxford Delegacy of Local Examinations – Grade C / Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate – School Certificate Pass 1-6 / University of London Entrance and School Examinations Council – School Certificate Pass 1-6
Results in examinations other than those listed above may also be accepted as meeting our English language requirements. Contact the International Education Division for advice.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Elaine Vaughan