A second or first class honours level primary degree or equivalent professional qualification (Primary degree: Level 8 - National Qualifications Authority of Ireland).
Months of entry
This MA in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) has been designed specifically with the aim of providing initial teacher education for those wishing to become teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL; this takes in English as a Foreign Language, EFL, and English as a Second Language, ESL). The programme is designed to accommodate participants in search of an initial English language teaching qualification, as well as experienced English language teachers who wish to upskill and/or gain an MA level qualification. The programme encourages participants to develop and reflect upon their understanding of the various theoretical and practical issues that impact upon the field of language teaching. It places particular emphasis on the notion of informed and critical teaching and the need for teachers to mediate between theory and practice in constructing pedagogies according to specific teaching and learning contexts. In line with the most recent approaches in the field, language technology and, particularly, corpus-based approaches to the study and description of language, feature strongly in our modules. A balance is maintained throughout the course between linguistic content, pedagogic content, and teaching-related research. Participants have the opportunity to complete one or two modules of teaching practice as part of the programme. After completing the two taught semesters of the programme (60 credits), participants may opt to exit the programme at the end of Semester 2 with a Graduate Diploma in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages.
- To equip graduates with a professional qualification in the area of ESOL.
- To enable students to acquire the knowledge, range of capabilities, experiences and qualities that are required for the teaching profession.
- To develop students' understanding of the language-learning process and a critical awareness of associated pedagogies.
- To provide students with the necessary skills to carry out research in the area of ESOL.
- To afford the opportunity to develop skills in areas of pedagogic practice relevant in contemporary educational systems internationally, for example, new technologies and materials development.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Elaine Vaughan