Research course


University of Lincoln · Lincoln School of Humanities and Heritage
MA by research

Entry requirements

First or upper second class honours degree in a relevant subject.

Months of entry


Course content

MA by Research Conservation is designed for students who are keen to undertake an in-depth project of their choice in a particular field of conservation, with the guidance of an expert academic supervisor. You are expected to write a dissertation of around 25,000 words that demonstrates expert knowledge and understanding of the subject area you have chosen. This degree is best suited to students who have a tightly defined research project that is achievable within the time frame.

Students can benefit from the specialist knowledge of academics who are engaged in the Centre for Conservation and Cultural Heritage Research. You will also have access to a range of analytical equipment and technical expertise.

As a postgraduate research student, you are encouraged to participate in the School of Humanities and Heritage's lively culture of research seminars and events, as well as postgraduate forums, training and social events.

Department specialisms

Archaeological conservation Paint and pigment analysis Preventive conservation Material culture studies Cultural history Analysis of historic materials

Information for international students

If you have studied outside of the UK, and are unsure whether your qualification meets the above requirements, please visit our country pages for information on equivalent qualifications.

Overseas students will be required to demonstrate English language proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.5 overall, with a minimum of 6.0 in each element. For information regarding other English language qualifications we accept, please visit the English Requirements page

If you do not meet the above IELTS requirements, you may be able to take part in one of our Pre-session English and Academic Study Skills courses. .

Fees and funding

For eligible students, there are more ways than ever before to fund your postgraduate study, whether you want to do a taught or research course. For those wishing to undertake a Master's course, you can apply for a loan as a contribution towards the course and living costs. Loans are also available to those who wish to undertake doctoral study. The University offers a number of scholarships and funded studentships for those interested in postgraduate study. Learn how Master's and PhD loans, scholarships, and studentships can help you fund your studies on our Postgraduate Fees and Funding pages.

Qualification, course duration and attendance options

  • MA by research
    full time
    12 months
    • Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
    part time
    24 months
    • Campus-based learningis available for this qualification

Course contact details