In order to be considered for entry, applicants must have completed:
- A Bachelor degree in a relevant discipline, such as statistics, mathematics, biomedicine, psychology, science, pharmacy, health sciences, economics, from an approved university, with an average mark over the degree of at least 70% or equivalent; and
- Successful completion at tertiary level of at least one mathematics subject (result of at least 65%), including elements of multivariable calculus and linear algebra.
Applicants may be required to attend a test to elucidate any of the matters listed above.
Months of entry
The Master of Biostatistics at the University of Melbourne provides an advanced education in biostatistics. It encompasses the design of advanced experiments and the collection, summary, interpretation and communication of data analysis to health professionals.
This degree covers all the necessary statistical theory, and the emphasis throughout is on the application and adaptation of computational analysis using current health datasets. The compulsory research project ensures that you are able to apply your skills to real-world problems. The wide-ranging elective subjects allow great flexibility in terms of biostatistics career pathways.
On completion of the master’s degree, graduates will have had the opportunity to complete a research-based project under expert biostatistical supervision and will attain the required skills for employment as a professional biostatistician or for continuing to a research higher degree. The Master of Biostatistics at the University of Melbourne allows students to:
- Fast-track your qualification: study full-time and complete in 18 months
- Learn from leading biostatisticians at the University of Melbourne and Australia-wide
- Benefit from a hybrid approach to teaching - subjects offered both face-to-face and online courses.
- Attain skills for employment as a professional biostatistician in medical and public health research centres, universities, hospitals, government departments and the pharmaceutical industry
This degree is accredited by the Statistical Society of Australia Inc. (SSAI) and also provides an excellent grounding for those wishing to undertake a PhD
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time18 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- +61 3 9035 5511