- an undergraduate honours degree at 2:1 level or above or international equivalent
- a masters degree at Merit level or above in the relevant area
- a detailed research proposal
Applicants without a masters degree who can demonstrate equivalent expertise are invited to contact the School for further advice.
Please note, for acceptance on to a PhD you must also have a confirmed supervisor from within the School of English.
Months of entry
January, November, October, May, April, February
The School of English at Nottingham is renowned internationally for its research expertise across the subject, and hosts a number of thriving Research Centres.
Our PhD in English covers a wide range of literatures in English, reflecting the diversity, strength, and depth of the school and its work. We offer research supervision in the following areas:
- Literature, 1500 to present
- Medieval Language and Literature
- Drama and Performance
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Enquiries
- +44 (0)115 951 5917