Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
- Bachelors or masters degree in a relevant subject
- GCSE: You will be required to achieve and evidence a level 2 equivalent in both English and Maths by the end of the programme.
- Good information and communications technology (ICT) skills.
- You’ll be required to complete a satisfactory enhanced DBS (formerly CRB) Enhanced Disclosure, register with the Independent Safeguarding Authority and complete a criminal convictions self-declaration form. Find all of the important documentation you'll need when applying for this programme
- You must be deemed fit to teach.
All appropriately qualified candidates will be given equal consideration during the selection process. The University does not tolerate discrimination on the grounds of gender, ethnicity, colour, disability, religion, nationality, age, sexual orientation or any other irrelevant distinction.
Entry onto these programmes is conditional on the University identifying a suitable placement and mentor.
Months of entry
With options to work in further education colleges, adult and community education, work-based training, offender learning and public sector organisations, our programme helps you develop the required skills, knowledge and professional values. With a large proportion of your time spent on placement, you have the chance to gain real-world experience, preparing you for a fulﬁlling and rewarding career.
As a PGCE student you will:
- Receive 'excellent support from tutors and mentors and make good progress in developing the skills and attributes to become accomplished teachers' (Ofsted, 2014).
- Spend two days a week on placement in a further education and skills setting.
- Beneﬁt from highly skilled and qualiﬁed tutors with many years’ experience in the further education and skills sector.
- In the most recent Student Perception Questionnaire survey, students reported very high levels of satisfaction with this programme.
- Take advantage of opportunities to network with potential employers. Follow in the footsteps of many of our trainees and possibly go on to ﬁnd employment within the organisations you work with during your placement.
- Demonstrate innovation, creativity and enterprise throughout your time on the programme and benefit from the way education for sustainable development is embedded in the programme. There is a strong research base across the partnership which underpins these and other developments in the programme
- Work closely with your fellow trainees, learning together and from one another, with peer-support is an important part of the programme’s philosophy and organisation.
- Take your qualifications to the next level - after completing this course you'll have the option to gain Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS) status.
Our programme is tailored for applicants who hold a bachelors or masters degree. The Certificate in Education is available to those who do not hold one of these qualifications.
We work with the local General and Specialist Further Colleges and would invite applicants with a range of qualifications and relevant experience.
We particularly welcome applications from exceptional candidates who wish to teach in offender learning settings.
Information for international students
Applicants with overseas qualifications can check their compatibility with the UK equivalent through UK ECCTIS, who provide an advisory service. We welcome applicants with international qualifications. To view other accepted qualifications please refer to our tariff glossary.
- IELTS 7.0 overall with 7.0 in all four elements, or accepted equivalent English qualification as listed on our English language requirements.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Admission Enquiries
- +44 1752 585858