Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
- A first or a second-class honours degree in a relevant subject or equivalent qualifications and/or professional experience
- English language proficiency at IELTS level 6.0 with no component score below 6.0 (or other acceptable proof), if English is not your first language
Months of entry
January, May, September
As the world grows increasingly technology-reliant, cyber security and digital forensics have become recognised as two incredibly important areas for organisations to manage.
Cyber security differs significantly from cybercrime – with the latter being used to describe the illegal and/or harmful behaviours carried out online.
While students of our MSc Cybercrime will strive to understand the driving forces behind online criminal activity, cyber security deals with the process of predicting, avoiding, and reacting to these acts. With this Master’s course, you’ll also learn key techniques to investigate digital crimes and security breaches, and help safeguard your organisation’s success.
Why this MSc Cyber Security and Digital Forensics?
By taking this course, you’ll develop a systematic understanding of cyber security and forensics concepts, including how to securely protect and investigate an organisation’s digital assets and systems.
In addition to learning from our experienced academics, you’ll also be given remote access to our dedicated Forensic IT and Cyber Security laboratories. With this, you can gain firsthand experience with specialist software and forensic tools.
You’ll also have the opportunity to attend an online court hearing with a judge presiding as part of your assessments.
Our Master’s emphasis on providing students with real-world insights and practical skills will allow you to effectively and immediately apply your learnings to your career.
What you’ll study
On this course, you’ll:
- Gain familiarity with a range of cyber security disciplines to help you develop, implement, and audit security systems and foster a proactive security management culture
- Study the design and conduct of forensic IT investigations – including crime scene management, forensic tools, and their application
- Build a theoretical understanding of the principles involved with searching for and collecting digital evidence from data storage devices and large datasets
- Discover how to research and navigate the evolving legal, social, and ethical challenges relating to the presentation of digital evidence
- Hone the interpersonal skills needed to work effectively in your field, and learn how to regularly appraise and improve your own performance
- Computer Forensic Investigation and Cryptography (30 credits)
- Mobile Forensics: Issues and Practice (30 credits)
- Computer Security (30 credits)
- Systems, Security and Hacking (30 credits)
- Master’s Study Project (60 credits)
Career prospects and opportunities
Cyber security and forensic experts are in demand by organisations across the world – regardless of the industry or sector.
Upon earning your MSc in Cyber Security and Digital Forensics, you’ll have the specialist skills and subject knowledge needed to succeed as a professional within forensic IT, high-tech crime agencies, law firms, insurance companies, and more.
The soft skills that you can also expect to develop, from open communication to collaboration, will help make you an extremely attractive hire who can fit into different teams and work environments.
There are a number of different roles you could go on to secure, such as:
- Security Analyst
- Digital Forensic Investigator
- Chief Information Security Officer
- Information Systems Administrator
Following graduation, you’ll become a member of our international Alumni Association. You’ll be able to network with other cyber security professionals and form valuable professional connections – sharing and gaining useful insights and potential career opportunities.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time24 months
- Online learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Study Online
- +44 (0)23 9400 3692