Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
Qualifications and experience
- A 2:2 honours degree with RIBA Part 1 exemption. Applicants who do not hold a recognised UK Part 1 qualification will need to undertake and pass the ARB prescribed exam for Part 1 prior to joining the Apprenticeship course.
- All applicants to the degree apprenticeship courses must have an acceptable Level 2 qualification in English and Mathematics. Acceptable qualifications include GCSE with grade C/4 or above and Functional Skills with Pass – please note that we are not able to accept all kinds of Level 2 qualifications, so if you an unsure whether you have a suitable qualification please get in touch. If you do not have an acceptable qualification you may be required to take an additional assessment during the application process.
- An online portfolio submission and/or interview may be required as part of the selection process.
English language requirements
- English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
Months of entry
Do you want to earn a salary and get valuable on-the-job experience while you get the RIBA and ARB Part 2 and Part 3 qualifications you need to be a professional architect?
On this 4-year architect degree apprenticeship, you'll develop the professional and creative skills for a successful career in architecture. You’ll cover topics such as urbanism, landscape, sustainability and culture in a studio environment.
During term time, you'll spend 1 day a week on day release at the University and the other 4 days applying your skills and getting practical experience in the workplace. The Government or your employer pay your tuition fees – so your architecture degree apprenticeship doesn’t cost you anything.
Architects Registration Board (ARB) and Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) accreditation is pending for this course but we expect this to be confirmed before September 2019.
When confirmed, this accreditation means you'll have a MArch and a Final Examination in Professional Practice qualification when you complete your apprenticeship. This gives you exemption from RIBA/ARB Part 2 and Part 3 and makes you eligible to register as an Architect with the Architects Registration Board (ARB).
What you'll experience
On this architecture degree apprenticeship, you'll:
- Develop the creative and professional abilities needed for a practicing architect
- Learn how to come up with creative and strategic solutions to a variety of architectural challenges
- Get a MArch degree (Part 2) while you earn a salary (pending ARB/RIBA accreditation)
- Put what you learn into practice in the workplace, preparing yourself for Part 3 studies in your final year
- Have access to the University's student support services and community, including the Library, study support, sports and recreation facilities, and the Students’ Union
- Build a network of professional peers during your time at university, sharing your ideas and knowledge
- Get practical work experience in your job, giving you an advantage over students who go to University full-time
- Get a personal tutor from the University and a workplace mentor
- If you need somewhere to live, you may be able to stay in the University's halls of residence – talk to our Housing team for more information.
Careers and opportunities
This architecture degree apprenticeship gives you the professional knowledge and creative skills you need to start your career as an architect, in your organisation and beyond.
Once Architects Registration Board (ARB) and Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) accreditation is confirmed, you'll be eligible to apply for registration as an Architect with the ARB and RIBA. (We expect ARB/RIBA accreditation to be confirmed before September 2019.)
After you finish your architect degree apprenticeship, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time48 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Degree Apprenticeships
- 02392 848599