Architecture and Professional Practice (Degree Apprenticeship)
An upper second-class honours degree with RIBA Part 1 exemption. Applicants who do not hold a recognised UK Part 1 qualification will need to undertake and pass the ARB prescribed exam for Part 1 prior to joining the Apprenticeship course. An online portfolio submission and/or interview may be required as part of the selection process.
All applicants to the Degree Apprenticeship courses must have an acceptable Level 2 qualification in English and Mathematics. Acceptable qualifications include GCSE with grade C/4 or above and Functional Skills with Pass - please note that we are not able to accept all kinds of Level 2 qualifications, so if you are unsure whether you have a suitable qualification please get in touch. If you do not have an acceptable qualification you may be required to take an additional assessment during the application process.
Months of entry
Earn a salary and get the qualifications needed to become a professional architect
On this integrated three-year Master's and one-year Part 3 qualification, you'll build on your undergraduate degree and RIBA Part 1 exemption and become an ARB-registered architect at the end.
You'll gain valuable on-the-job experience during this four-year degree apprenticeship, which will help you develop the professional and creative skills needed to succeed in architecture. You’ll cover topics such as urbanism, landscape, sustainability and culture in a studio environment.
During term time, you'll spend one day a week on day release at the University and the other four days applying your skills and getting practical experience in your workplace. The government or your employer pay your tuition fees – so your architecture degree apprenticeship doesn’t cost you anything.
- Develop the creative and professional abilities needed to become a registered architect with the ARB
- Get a MArch degree while you earn a salary
- Learn how to come up with creative and strategic solutions to a variety of architectural challenges
- Benefit from top-class facilities in this studio-based course, including our Centre for Creative and Immersive Extended Reality (CCIXR) – the UK’s first integrated facility for virtual, augmented, and extended realities
- Put what you learn into practice in the workplace, preparing yourself for Part 3 studies in your final year
- Gain further professional knowledge from our network of visiting lecturers – past ones include Pamela Cole, Alastair Lewis, and architects from Tibbalds
- Get practical work experience in your job, giving you an advantage over students who go to University full-time
Careers and opportunities
Whether you're working for an organisation or a practice or even if you're self-employed, this architecture degree apprenticeship prepares you to become an ARB-registered architect. This will expand your professional knowledge, skills, and reputation at work.
Besides being able to legally call yourself an architect, having an ARB registration ensures you:
- Are a qualified, fully trained professional, which highlights your integrity amongst clients and members of public
- Maintain your professional obligations by following the 'Architects Code: Standards of Conduct and Practice'
- Can work in virtually any practice or organisation, as some contracts or employers require you to be registered before you work with them
- Continuously update your professional skills, knowledge and abilities through Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
- Can work internationally, subject to individual country requirements
Information for international students
Fees and funding
The course fee is shared between the Government and some employers, meaning no cost to you as the degree apprentice.
Please see our Degree Apprenticeships page, or contact us for further information: https://www.port.ac.uk/study/studying-while-working/degree-apprenticeships
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time48 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Degree Apprenticeships
- 02392 848599