A good honours degree or equivalent academic qualification in a technical or analytical discipline (Architecture, Construction Management, Mechanical/Electrical Engineering, Civil, Surveying, Project Management). Exceptionally, applicants from non-technical/analytical disciplines but with proven and substantiated experience in the Architecture, Engineering, and Construction (AEC) fields will be considered. English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.0 with no component score below 5.5.
Months of entry
Why take this course?
The Architecture, Engineering and Construction industry (AEC) is changing: Building Information Modelling and Management (BIM) is becoming the industry standard for the design, build and management of modern buildings and structures.
BIM is not just a new technology, or application, but an entirely new method of working that is being adopted across the AEC industry. From 2016, the British Government will only award large public sector building contracts to companies and consortia using BIM. By 2019, this will extend to all public sector contracts, large and small.
This course has been developed specifically to respond to the need for skilled and experienced BIM professionals, not only in the use of the technology, but in its implementation, from design, to procurement, to financial management and throughout the conception, construction and the life of a building.
What will I experience?
On this course you will:
- Cover the fundamentals of project and financial management software such as Revit, CostX, Synchro, as well as design software such as AutoCAD
- Learn how to integrate the new technology and methodology of BIM with the established principles of planning and project management
- Explore the practical and theoretical applications - and challenges - of BIM and become an advocate and enabler of its adoption by industry
- Choose to study full-time over one year, part-time over two years on campus or part-time over two years by distance learning
What opportunities might it lead to?
This Masters course will support progression into further research or an academic career. BIM professionals who pursue careers in large or small businesses and in the public sector, can expect to work in roles such as:
- BIM Coordinator/Strategist
- Project Manager
Our postgraduate courses in Quantity Surveying and Property Development are accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). This course will also be submitted for accreditation once fully established.
You will be taught by staff from a wide range of backgrounds, including architects, quantity surveyors, project managers, construction lawyers, and structural engineers. You will also benefit from the insights of guest lecturers and visiting industry professionals.
Core units include:
- BIM Theory and Practice: Understanding the technology and the ways in which the associated software supports building and management processes.
- Integrated BIM Projects and Corporate Management: Understanding how to align corporate and company systems with the BIM method.
- Modelling and Interoperability in the BIM Environment: Exploring the potential for further development of BIM and its applications.
- Strategic and General Management: On this unit you will cover management in the construction industry. You will also cover development of organisational and project strategic direction, taking into account internal and external environments.
- Dissertation: An opportunity to complete an independent dissertation project during the final stage of the course. You will be able to choose a subject area of particular personal interest, within the broad scope of the built environment.
The classroom element of teaching will be through lectures, seminars and tutorials. Individual projects and group collaboration projects will utilise our specialised computer labs and design studios.
In line with the digital content of the course, all work is developed and submitted electronically through Moodle, our Virtual Learning Environment. Assessment methods include:
- Individual coursework
- Group project
- Individual Presentations
- Group presentations
- Individual project/dissertation
You will benefit from our strong links with both architecture, engineering and construction industry and professions. BIM is a new and valuable skill to many employers, and graduates from this course are highly sought after. This course also provides you with the skills and knowledge to support employability in a range of professional roles in the built environment, both in the UK and internationally.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admissions Team
- +44 (0)23 9284 5566