A second-class honours degree or equivalent professional experience and/or qualifications.
English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
Months of entry
If you want to add to your existing law qualifications – or you're a graduate from another subject area who's looking to develop your legal knowledge and gain a relevant qualification – our LLM Law degree course is the perfect next step for you.
On this flexible course – which can be studied either part-time or full-time – you'll develop expertise in law, supplemented with a choice of specialist subjects, including corporate governance, employment law, intellectual property law, and international commercial arbitration.
Law graduates on our LLM programmes can also study for The Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (CILEx) Level 6 Diploma in Law and Practice (Graduate Fast Track Diploma).
And when you graduate, you'll be qualified to work as a legal executive or paralegal and following three years of qualifying employment, you can apply to be admitted as a Chartered Fellow of the Institute of Legal Executives. Other opportunities include working for the Court Service and in business.
What you'll experience
On this course you'll:
- Learn from a skilled and experienced team of academics, through group work, discussion and debate
- Gain experience of a realistic court environment in our £1m mock courtroom, where you'll get to take part in mock trials and moots
- Benefit from our links with the Portsmouth Court Service. You'll get the opportunity to go on court visits, take part in marshalling and work experience in the Courts, and get the opportunity to participate in our professional mentoring programme
- Tap in to our Library’s vast selection of electronic resources 24/7, including thousands of online ejournals
- Pursue specific areas of academic interest or, if you prefer, develop a wider range of skills and knowledge
Work experience and career planning
We'll help you to identify internships, voluntary roles and opportunities that will complement your studies.
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your legal skills to work.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
Careers and opportunities
The LLM Law degree course provides a springboard for many career paths, including business or the public sector. If you're already a law practitioner, you'll have the opportunity to pursue new subject specialities. If you're a law graduate and take the CILEx Level 6 Diploma in Legal Practice, you'll also have a recognised professional qualification in addition to your degree, once you join CILEx as a paying member.
Career opportunities include:
- Designated detention officer
- Legal clerk/executive
- Paralegal assistant
- Business development executive
- Claims handler
- Compliance officer
- Further research or study
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- 023 9284 2991