You are normally required to have a good undergraduate honours degree (2:1) or above (or equivalent from a university outside the UK) in an appropriate subject, but each application will be considered individually.
Months of entry
Learn the skills needed for a career in ecology, conservation and consultancy.
The School of Biological Sciences at the University of Reading has teamed up with RSK to deliver a course that precisely provides the skills and knowledge demanded by consultants. The content of the course has been designed to give you exactly the skills needed by ecological consultants: this is a course geared towards making you stand out in the field.
Most of the 110 taught credits consist of hands-on and field-based training overseen by working consultants. In addition to the taught component, you will have the opportunity to embark on a six-month work placement with an ecological consultant. A bursary for this period is provided by the employer.
* 100% employment rate in the ecology and ecological consultancy sectors
* The only UK programme to have over half of its credits overseen by consultants
* Designed in partnership with RSK Group to provide the skills and knowledge demanded by consultants
* Focuses on hands-on and field-based training with no written examinations
* Six-month placement opportunity (with bursary) with an ecological consultant
· Practical wildlife
· Vegetation Survey and Assessment
· Invertebrate Survey and Assessment
· Vertebrate Survey and Management
· Research & Professional Skills
· Field Trips
Working with industry
Consultants actively engaging with the MSc programme include: RSK, Ecosa, EPR, ECUS, AECOM, Jacobs, Southern Ecological Solutions and Froglife. RSK in particular deliver a significant proportion of the taught component of the programme for those students targeting the ecological consultancy route. The MSc course is also supported by a variety of other organizations including Royal Society for the Protection of Birds, Game and Wildlife Conservation Trust, Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust and the Hawk Conservancy Trust.
Information for international students
IELTS: 6.5 overall with no element less than 5.5 (or equivalent).
Fees and funding
You will be supported in finding a paid six-month work placement with an ecological consultant (driving licence needed).
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Global Recruitment Team