You will need to have a 2.1 degree in a relevant health related area and work within a tertiary neonatal intensive care unit with a minimum of 4 years clinical experience. Anyone who doesn't have the required level of degree is advised to discuss their application with the Programme Leader.
You will also need to possess the ENB 405 / Quality in Specialty qualification and be live on the NMC register.
This course is suitable for those working in a tertiary neonatal care unit with a minimum of five years clinical experience.
A written agreement and clinical support from a nominated consultant neonatologist and nurse line manager will be required in order for you to be accepted onto this programme.
You will apply by using the university’s general online application form. You will have a joint interview with your line manager, a consultant neonatologist and university lecturer. Funding arrangements will be agreed between your Local Trust and the University.
Months of entry
This practical course uses a work-based learning approach to develop the higher-level skills that will lead to advanced practitioner status.
If you are an experienced neonatal intensive care nurse, this challenging and rewarding programme will enable you to become a qualified advanced neonatal nurse practitioner.
This course requires a high level of commitment to succeed and you will move from nursing to a medical rota immediately upon qualification.
You will achieve a number of clinical competencies such as advanced resuscitation skills, insertion of percutaneous long lines, insertion of umbilical and venous catheters, airway management and intubation and chest drains. Upon completion you will be eligible for a non-medical advanced practitioner in neonates to work within a junior medical rota.
- Be supported in clinical practice by experienced neonatal nurse practitioners, consultant neonatologists, or specialist pediatric registrars.
- Be taught by experts in the field including teritiary neonatologists, advanced neonatal nurse practitioners, midwifery lecturers, pharmacists and radiographers.
- Develop advanced clinical skills in our brand new simulation suites with our award-winning human similators.
- Have access to a clinical placement opportunity.
Information for international students
International applicants will be required to show proficiency in English. An IELTS score of 7 is proof of this.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries Service
- +44 (0)161 295 4545