Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
A good 2.1 Honours undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline or significant professional or other relevant experience If you studied your first degree outside the UK, see the international entry requirements.
Evidence of prior alternative learning such as professional qualifications or certifications.
English language proficiency. See English language tests and qualifications.
The qualifications listed are indicative minimum requirements for entry. Some academic Schools will ask applicants to achieve significantly higher marks than the minimum. Obtaining the listed entry requirements will not guarantee you a place, as the University considers all aspects of every application including, where applicable, the writing sample, personal statement, and supporting documents.
Months of entry
The MSc in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) is a one-year course run by the International Education Institute. It is designed to be useful to both experienced English language teachers as well as those considering a career in English language teaching.
- In addition to the five compulsory modules, choose three optional modules and a dissertation topic to explore your interests while interacting with our students from a diverse range of nationalities and backgrounds.
- Join experienced practitioners and scholars in the English language teaching community, with opportunities to be involved in ongoing professional development events and the annual English for Academic Purposes (EAP) conference.
- Discuss theoretical concepts and frameworks in small groups and in writing in online forums with students studying both in St Andrews and by distanced learning around the world, and apply these through practical assessments and some peer teaching.
- Participate in an optional no credit-bearing module in Professional and Academic Literacies to support both your studies and your career development.
- Engage in and reflect on a new language learning experience as part of the programme, to gain a 360 degree perspective on language teaching and learning.
Fees and funding
There are a variety of funding options available for postgraduate students. For more details visit our website.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- International Education Institute
- +44 (0)1334 46 2255