- A first or upper 2.1 (Honours) undergraduate degree or equivalent in a biological science. Other scientific, engineering or mathematics degrees may be acceptable. If you studied your first degree outside the UK, see the international entry requirements.
- Training in advanced mathematics and statistics (at least to UK school SQA Higher, GCE AS or A-Level, International Baccalaureate or equivalent).
- Very good baseline IT skills including word-processing, spreadsheet use, email and internet.
- relevant field or lab experience from previous employment, project or volunteer work
- further IT skills, e.g. programming, database software and statistical packages for analysing (such as MATLAB, SPSS, SAS or R)
- dedicated calculus or statistics modules at university level.
Months of entry
The MSc in Marine Mammal Science is a one-year taught programme run by the Sea Mammal Research Unit (SMRU), the only UK institution dedicated exclusively to marine mammal research, and draws on the quantitative and diverse academic expertise within the University's Scottish Oceans Institute (SOI).
- Although focused on marine mammals, this programme also covers advanced topics in quantitative marine ecology and animal behaviour.
- Modules include intense training in quantitative techniques (for example, statistical modelling and GIS) and applied research methods, including a Scotland-based field course to practice survey techniques (at no additional cost).
- You might have the exciting opportunity to conduct fieldwork locally as part of a core module and further afield as part of optional field courses (extra cost applicable) including polar ecology in Antarctica or scientific diving in a tropical location.
- The core curriculum is complemented by advanced optional modules in topical research areas of biologging, bioacoustics, behaviour and cognition, and population biology.
- Stimulating, small class sizes with a focus on student-led, experiential learning.
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Secretary
- +44 (0)1334 46 3441