Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
A good 2.1 Honours undergraduate degree. Exceptionally, a candidate who demonstrates outstanding writing abilities may be accepted on the basis of an equivalent qualification (e.g. a body of published work or a relevant professional qualification), but such cases are at the discretion of staff and require decanal approval.
Months of entry
The MLitt in Creative Writing develops original work while providing critical and creative study in either poetry or prose. The MLitt offers practice-based, technically and creatively oriented tuition by leading contemporary authors with an emphasis on the development of individual style, and the goal of literary excellence.
It is a one-year taught programme run by the School of English. The course consists of two semesters with taught components followed by an individual creative writing project taking place over the whole year, but with particular focus during the last three months.
- Have the opportunity to study with leading contemporary authors
- Gain a firm grounding in style and technique
- Learn critical thinking and the ability to be your own best editor
- Learn the importance of broad and well-informed reading in the development of an original ‘voice’
- Develop an awareness of creative industry norms in publication and networking.
Fees and funding
There are a variety of funding options available for postgraduate students. For more details visit our website.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Secretary
- +44 (0)1334 46 2668