A good Honours degree, or overseas equivalent.
Months of entry
The MSc in Applied Economics has been designed – in partnership with the business, consulting and policy communities – for the aspiring professional economist.
What sets this course apart from the other postgraduate courses in Economics is that we focus on developing your technical and analytical skills alongside your practical experience of how these skills are used to solve real-world economic problems and inform decision-making in a variety of environments.
Key highlights of the course include:
- you'll study in the Strathclyde Business School – a Times Higher Education Business School of the Year - internationally respected as one of the most innovative and largest business schools of its kind in Europe
- you’ll gain knowledge and understanding of the core principles of economic analysis and the experience in how to apply them. You'll acquire skills in economics, data analysis and modelling techniques as well as key transferable skills in leadership, project management, problem solving, communication and negotiating that are sought after by employers
- the programme is delivered by staff of the Department of Economics – the home of the Fraser of Allander Institute – a leading independent economic research institute. The institute plays a crucial role in the MSc, offering at least three fees bursaries, teaching several classes and hosting at least three summer internships each year. With the institute never out of the media, the MSc in Applied Economics offers students a unique opportunity to engage with staff working at the cutting edge of applied economics research, industry engagement and policy making. There will also be opportunities to publish articles on the Fraser of Allander Institute's blog and in the quarterly Fraser of Allander Institute Economic Commentary report
- the Practitioner seminar series within our Professional Development for Economists class provides you with opportunities to learn from senior figures in business, consultancy and government about the key economic issues of the day and their own journey to the top of their chosen career. Many of the speakers are our own graduates. This is complemented by a variety site visits that are arranged for you and give you insights into what it is like to work as an applied economist, from a range of perspectives
- you'll have the option to take an elective class from a wide range offered across Strathclyde Business School and across the wider University. Particularly popular choices each year include classes in Management, Finance and Strategy
- you may also choose to join the Strathclyde Business Network, a student group that facilitates interaction with business and industry leaders – including an annual conference which brings together students with leading businesses from across the UK
On completion of the course, you'll join a long list of distinguished graduates from the Department of Economics at the University of Strathclyde, many of whom have progressed to senior positions in business, consultation and public policy.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Admissions
- +44 (0)141 553 6105