You should normally have a lower second-class (2.2) undergraduate honours degree or above.
You will need:
- a strong knowledge and understanding of the study of English and media, and a sound awareness of how the subject is currently taught within state Secondary schools;
- an undergraduate degree in English and Media or a degree in English with at least 30% Media and a Drama A-Level. In certain circumstances, media industry experience together with a degree may suffice. Your qualification must be from an approved Higher Education institution or validating body;
- a GCE A-Level in English and a passion for the subject;
- GCSE English and Mathematics at grade C (or equivalent). You must provide evidence of these qualifications at interview.
Months of entry
This course prepares you to start your career as a new teacher and be successful. You’ll learn to teach in schools in East or West Sussex, Brighton and Hove, Surrey, Hampshire or Kent. We will develop your skills as a reflective practitioner.
We use an innovative range of assessment modes that enable you to succeed. School-led teacher education is run by experienced mentors and professional tutors. You'll be supported by University tutors throughout the year.
We have an excellent record of graduate employment. Our employability records surpass national benchmarks.
We’ll make all reasonable efforts to provide the course as set out here. For the school-experience component of the PGCE, we’ll aim to find you a placement within 50 miles of the University or your home. If we can’t secure enough placements, we may have to withdraw an offer of a place on the course.
We have reviewed all our courses to ensure the best possible learning experience for September, taking account of latest information and advice in relation to COVID-19. For updates on changes that may affect contact time, assessments, fieldwork and study abroad, check Course changes for 2020-2021. These changes are not yet reflected our online prospectus information and, of course, may be revised as the situation evolves.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time10 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
- Distance learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course enquiries